Unhappy working at May Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Burrito Warrior, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Burrito Warrior

Burrito Warrior Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Hello everyone, I'm a new CDL holder and I've been with May for only two months now. At first I thought they were a great company and I liked how I was treated. I wanted to do one year with them but now I see it as a distant possibility. I can now see clearly why they have such a high turnover rate and why they are sooooo nice to new applicants. When I solo out, I became more and more unhappier and started getting tired of dealing with the BS and crap. There are some good parts and bad parts in May, but overall each day I just hate myself more and more working for them. It's chipping away at my health too. I feel tired, have loss of appetite and see the world in gray. I don't find the money worth it anymore for the amount of crap they throw at me but I need some source of income. What should I do? Stay, quit, or what?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Submit some applications to other companies that hire new grads then when you find a new job, quit May.Which state do you live in so we know the hiring area you are in?

4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    So other than the standard bs you will find at any company what don't you like about may ?

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    If I may be honest,based on your post it sounds like trucking may not be for you.What you're experiencing at May you'll find that with all companies.You should give it a few more months then decide if you wanna try another company.Or take time off all together from This industry and find a non driving job.You have your laptop with you I assume so start looking for jobs in your area.

laaylor, rward75, 51.50 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Newbie Job Hopping doesn't look good on a Resume.

I would try to stick it out for at least 6 months, maybe talk to your Driver Manager about the issues bothering you.

You being a Newbie, there's going to be some adjustments to OTR life.

Every company has a system, ask alot of questions, speak to veteran May Drivers about your concerns.

OTR is not just a job, it's a lifestyle.

Some people can hack it, some can't.

Good luck.

Landincoldfire, rward75, 51.50 and 7 others Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What's matter? Bad shop? POS equiptment? Nasty People? One dispatcher intent on running you into the ground? Bad food? Too wussy to fight for better freight?

Your first three months with anything in life especially trucking is a tender and sensitive time. You determine your success or failure during this time.

All I see here is generalized whining from a tired and abused trucker who is in need of encouragement and lessons, but there is none of that unless the detail of what is bothering you comes out specifically.

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Hand, stop listening to the other truckers. Stop and give this some serious thought. That grass you see in other places is not as green as you think. BS is part of trucking it is part of almost every carrier. You will find most amy carrier you go to will be full of BS and honestly you might land somewhere and wish you had stayed at May. Give it that first year. After that year your options will be better.

rward75, MachoCyclone and bzinger Thank this.
  9. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    You sound like me.

It turned out OTR is not for me.

At 2 months, you'll want to get a bit more experience before looking for a local gig...however you could consider a linehaul position now.

rward75 and Burrito Warrior Thank this.
  10. Burrito Warrior

Oct 29, 2016
    I'm willing to relocate anywhere as long as it's not expensive like California

11. Burrito Warrior

Oct 29, 2016
    I do like trucking in itself but not the trucking industry and how they do their business. I guess the same can be said for any industry. What is a linehaul position btw?

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.