Unhappy working at May Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Burrito Warrior, Oct 30, 2016.

1. DustMyBroom

DustMyBroom Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2016
    LTL means "less than truckload". All it really means is that a given shipment does not require a full trailer to haul to a customer. Line haul has already been described accurately. It can be truckload or ltl.

Burrito Warrior Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    What is it that you do not like about May?

I don't like the company I work for but changing companies would only give me different people but the same crapola.

highwayman Thanks this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I started my trucking vocation at May over 7 years ago. They're no different than most trucking companies out there.

Very seldom is the grass greener on the other side of the fence, because the cow poop stinks just as bad on the other side of the fence.

I put in almost 3 years there and moved on. Suck it up, learn the ropes and get in some more experience before you move on.

What's ironic is that I got a call from a driver from May today, I've known him for about 5 years, which is when he first got there as a newbie.

He's always complaining about the bull crap. I always say, "why don't you move on then?" His reply is always the same in that all in all they treat him pretty well.

Btw, he's a single dude and has been able to save over 50k in the last 5 years, plus thousands in their retirement plan.

5. Claysapparel

Claysapparel Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Being a newbie (pre newbie) not even out of driving school yet, I can tell you the truth of regular life working for my family. Am I home every night? Sure. Is my schedule consistent? Some. But the thing is, I literally WORK for someone, in my ear, 24/7, and their name is mom and granddaddy. It's hell.

The typical work force in America sucks. Don't give up what you have. Stick it out and move on. I'd love to be chewed out by a dispatcher knowing I don't have to listen to a boss standing directly beside me forcing a new BS rule or mandate every 20 minutes. I started work this morning at 6:30. I went to a car auction that was over at 2:00. Worked the car lot for 4 hours until 6. Then was told, when I'm supposed to go home, that we needed two repos that were 2 counties over. I've been home for 30 (10:20pm) minutes and have to do it all over again tomorrow at 6:30.

I'm just saying, from where I'm sitting, I can't wait to drive tractors for a living. Even with a college degree.

And I only get paid whatever they want to pay me. Usually they don't use hours, just a regular salary that consist of a BS wage.

Hope this helps ;)

Velli Thanks this.
  6. Burrito Warrior

Burrito Warrior Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2016
    If May was like a food, I do my best to eat it all, maybe add spices, add sugar on top of it, make it look edible but in the end my stomach will not take the abuse any longer and just puke it all out.

I need to eat but the food is becoming ####ty to my stomach and body. It's hard to try to stuff the food in my mouth knowing my body rejects it even with words of encouragement.

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    C'mon, Burrito man. You're being a little melodramatic. If you don't have what it takes to make it, turn your keys in and get a job at taco bell.

I personally don't want guys in your mindset driving next to me in 70' long 80k lb rolling missile on wheels.

51.50 and highwayman Thank this.
  8. Claysapparel

Claysapparel Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2016
    One thing I love about this board, if you can't cut it in trucking, "err would you like fries with that err"

Ever heard of a decent paying factory job, or welding, or HVAC?

diesel drinker, alghazi and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    No more Stephen King movies for you, buddy.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    propertyvegas.com will help you find a place to rent or purchase. She's super smart and very aggresive helping people find what they want.

Claysapparel and Burrito Warrior Thank this.
  11. Burrito Warrior

Burrito Warrior Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Anything else in the Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas area?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.