United Parcel Service, Inc. - Aurora, Il.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by THE BEST, Sep 5, 2006.

1. THE BEST

THE BEST Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2006
    I never thought that I would post a negative thread about UPS, since the general view is that it is a great company, but I have a friend who has a son that recently went to work for UPS as a "feeder driver" and he is about to "starve".

He has been there about 4 months and unknowing to him when he took the job, UPS operates a "hog board"---seniority. This man quit a fairly good job making around $900 per week because he was interested in a good pension plan, which UPS has. Some weeks during the last 4 months he has only gotten one trip and on the average he has made around $540.00 gross, with a family to support, house payment and a daughter getting ready to enter college, he is deeply troubled.

When he applied, UPS never told him that they operated a "hog board", they left him with the impression that he would work 5 days per week. He has to live by the phone and only has 1 hour call. The starting pay is only $14.70 per hour and you work a 30 day probation period and that is 30 days of work, not a 30 day period, it took this man over two months to finish his probation period. Frigging rules are unbelievable and stupid! One, you will wear the seat belt at all times, even when bobtailing in the yard, even when hooking up, even when you are just sitting in the tractor doing your paperwork.

Unless you are single and living at home with mom and pop, I would highly advise you to stay away from UPS. A married man with a family cannot afford to "tough" it out until he gains enough seniority to make a descent pay check. Sure, the old men are making $80,000 to $90,000 per year, but unless you have some "deep pockets" you better think twice.

James j and Gear Grinder 1983 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bloodlan

bloodlan Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Holy bat chips!!!!...Does your friend not have an IQ? A man that quits a job without making inquiries to the job hes applying for is for sure [not thinking clearly]. If course he will have NO seniority and will start at the bottom of the board.This is the union way. Most all of your union driving shops have this as standard practice. And yes by the way it is the law to buckle up before putting the rig into gear. Im not a UPS lover but it just makes common sense to do your homework before quitting your job for another, especailly if your paying your kids college.

4. TimeWalker

TimeWalker Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2006
    #### bloodlan...... Back off

I didn't know you are that "mistreated" @ ups and I've done a good bit of research on em.. Any guy who hasn't done EXTENSIVE research wouldn't know a lot of the little quirks

AND not to mention the above not everyone comes to or even has the ability to come to a place like this to share experience like the OP just did

5. THE BEST

Jul 17, 2006
    Let me tell you (bloodlan), first you sound like one of those "super truckers". I have been in this business for some 43 years, worked for union companies that worked a "first in and first out" board. Not all union carriers work a "hog board". To call someone an "idiot" only discloses your mentality, do you have a mental attitude that needs to "put others down"?????? I only posted this for information purposes for those who arent as "smart" as you are.:cherry:

James j Thanks this.
  6. Truck Vet

Truck Vet <strong>NRA AMA Libertarian</strong>

Aug 30, 2006
    I would like to thank the Best for his post. I am an idiot that quit a good
    paying job to try to go for a pension. I wish I would have known about this site then, but I didn't have much time to surf the net. Now I have a
    lot of time............

7. THE BEST

Jul 17, 2006
    Truck Vet writes:
    You said it!:smt033

But I will never post another thread in this "tone". You bunch of "smarties" dont belong in a truck, you are too intelligent to be driving for a living.:confused1:

8. Truck Vet

Aug 30, 2006
    I wasn't trying to be a "smartie", I quit a good paying job to try and get
    a pension and be home every night. I admit it I was stupid to do it without
    doing more research. I think if I could have read a post like yours years ago it would have saved me a lot of trouble. Sorry if you misunderstood me but I was refering to me and no one else. I liked your post because
    if it will keep 1 driver from makeing the mistake I did it will do some good.

9. THE BEST

Jul 17, 2006
    Let me offer my apology Truck Vet, I really thought you were being sarcastic, I was wrong and humbly apologize:wave: .

I feel so sorry for this man. I didnt realize the UPS worked a "hog board" and when he came to me for advice, I told him to "go for it" and now I feel partly to blame. I worked for three union companies during my driving career and all three operated a "first in and first out" board, the senior men had bid runs and the extra board men filled in and did the extra runs and seniority did not play into the picture. I believe in "seniority" but this is carrying it a little too far.

10. Truck Vet

Aug 30, 2006
    :grin: Its all good, The Best. I am trying to learn to write clearer,
    and your helping me. Don't beat yourself up, I've talked to
    a lot of UPS drivers and I thought it was about the best
    trucking job you could get. I guess things are changing.
    With websites like this, and posters like you to keep us informed,
    maybe things will get better.

11. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    Please don't feel that way. You will notice that I saw that response...a little to late, and fixed it, but we don't encourage people to display that kind of an attitude in here.

I fully support your initial post, and saw nothing in it to be responded to in such a manner.

Don't hesitiate to report a post when this occurs. We don't want needless attacks on others, and it will not be tolerated.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.