University of Arkansas Fort Smith CDL School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by rescue349, Sep 23, 2011.

1. rescue349

rescue349 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    New Orleans,Louisiana
    Today is the day I have completed CDL school so I thought I would give my review since there isnt any info on this school on here.

The school is University of Arkansas Fort Smith. The CDL course in my opinion is the best choice for you if your in the state of Arkanasas. It is 160 hours of course time. One week in the classroom after which you take your permit test. They prepare you very well for this test. The classroom bit is boring and you do watch some videos (some older than me and im 26) But the head instructor Roy is very good at explaining everything. After you pass your permit test then its the driving portion.

For the next three weeks you will do alot of driving. The class size is very small(4) so you will get alot of one on one. Every morning they will have you do a pre-trip and correct you if your wrong. My whole class was great at it by the end of week two. If your lucky you will get the best instructor they have and his name is Bryce. This old guy has seen it all and done it all. He will take you to the backing pad and work with you one on one until you get it. He is also the guy who will teach you to drive. They make it fun to learn. Its not all work work work. While your learning he will discuss football,hunting,football, and general ball busting if you have a sense of humor. But none of that gets in the way of him instructing you.

They have other instructors named Charlie and Van these guys are also great. Charlie is an old school trucker with 30 years under his belt. He is real good at preparing you for the real world not just the tests. But he does love taking his breaks.

Van is another old guy that is very good at his job. His expertise is narrow roads and mountain driving. Let me tell you this guy will put you through the ringer. He finds the narrowest roads in Arkansas and tells you to drive down them. It was alittle rough but you will be prepared for anything when you leave here.

Roy the head instructor is the most informative man I have ever met. This guy has the knowledge to tell you anything about trucks,trucking,and everyday situations. He will be the one to take you through the city and teach you how to drive in it.He is also the third party tester. But believe me this guy is a different man when it is test day. When test day comes he will not help you in any way. He treats you like your just some guy that walked in off the street. This is because when he is teaching he is your instructor but when he is testing he is a state worker.And he treats it as such. Very professional in my book.

Ok to give you a summary. The class is 4 weeks long. It will cost you $2,500 in tuition. Then another fifty at the state revenue office for your CDL A Packet. Bring your lunch,your on Fort Chaffee not alot to eat out there. They do have a fridge,microwave,and a break room. Class is Monday through Friday. 7:30 to 4 with 30 minute lunch. Plenty of recruiters come through here as well. All in all this is a great class with fantastic instructors. You will be very well prepared for the world of trucking after you leave here. I liked so much I was sad to leave but I need a job. If you do happen to go to this school tell Roy and Bryce the Who Dat sent you!

All the best to all you future truckers. I hope this helps you in some way. I loved it here in Arkansas but New Orleans is calling me back. Good luck and GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

Mr.V and D33RHUNT3R Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. radrew90

radrew90 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Congratulations on your CDL & a huge "thanks" for posting this review of the UAFS CDL course! I have been researching CDL programs in the area, but there seems to be a severe lack of information on them. After reading your post, I think I'll give Mr. Duncan a call today! Good luck in NO!

4. Lil Red Head

Lil Red Head Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Ft. Smith, Ar
    Good Luck and yes thank you for this insite of the class. I will be starting that class November 28th just got my 2 year med card today. For me that first week will be a refresher sense I already had started at another school and have my permit but refreshers are always a good thing.

5. Mr.V

Mr.V Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    HATBORO,PA
    I know this thread is old, but thanks for your post on UAFS driving school. I fly out sunday to UAFS for training for a certain company.

6. rescue349

rescue349 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    New Orleans,Louisiana
    ^ Let me guess. Maverick? They are based about two hours away.

7. cascivic

cascivic Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2009
    nj
    Just completed this school for my company. Great place great people Charlie,van,Jim,Bennie,john and Doug are all great instructors !

8. Mr.V

Mr.V Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    HATBORO,PA
    ABF Frieght
    Sorry, very late reply...LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.