Unjust firing

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by NannyB, Sep 7, 2006.

1. NannyB

NannyB Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Greenville, Texas
    I worked 2 and half years for US express. The first year I had 6 different dispatchers. Fleet managers as they call them now. :smt065 They couldn't seem to keep any and about the time I thought I may have found a winner they either transferred them or he/she would find other employment. I think the really sad experience I had was with my sister. She complained about some sleeping problems they gave her 6 months to take a test she had to get to Washington ( with no loads to WA State during that time) medical card ran out they let her clean out her truck in Helena MT. She caught a bus and went to Washington took the test found out she had sleep apnea they brought her back to Ohio and told her they would not put her into a truck until she had been on a sleeping machine for some 6 to 8 weeks after their doctors checked her out and than told her she had to find her own way home. End of the story I bought her a ticket to Texas. She now works for :grin: Gulf Coast out of Sunnyvale TX a pretty good small company where people are more than numbers make decent money and seems pretty happy. She runs by the handle of Puppy Luv and is fun to run with has lots of stories and can keep a body from falling asleep in you happen to run into her tell her:laughing8: she owes her sister Thee Northern Belle some money for the plug... God Bless :wave:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    USX is a decent company.

4. jmy72

jmy72 Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Tampa, Fl
    True you cannot keep a dispatcher, dispatchers quit, just as often as us drivers do. But if she had been having sleeping disorders, she most likely had them before she went to work for USX, as they do not just all of a sudden, appear. Which means she lied on her application. While I will agree with you, USX can give ya a bit of a run around, I have noticed, they only seem to do it with ones they feel are giving them a run around first.

And as far as her having to find her own ride home, she was just silly for accepting that. It is against federal law To transport a CDL driver to a Terminal, for hire or what have you, and then Refuse to give them a ride home. It is Called Endangerment. If you are type of person that just accepts the decision they make, So be it. However, if you bring the law up to the company, they will provide you a ride home. I have had a company tell me they wouldnt be providing me a ride home. I told em I was gonna camp out in the drivers lounge until they changed their minds. They called the cops on me. when the cops arrived, I explained to the cop, that they bought me a bus ticket to get there, and I am not walking all the way back to florida. The cop agreed that they needed to provide transportation and told the company there was nothing the cops could do in the situation, as i was not trespassing due to the company had paid for me to get there. I slept in the drivers lounge that night, and the next morning I was on a bus.

5. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    So you don't think it's possible for a person to not know that they have sleep apnea? It's ridiculous to say she lied on her application when you don't even know the person. I have known a couple of people who had no idea they had it until they got tested.

6. xXDarthVaderXx

xXDarthVaderXx Light Load Member

May 17, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I agree with truckin916. How can you call this person a liar when you dont even know 1% of the facts or anything about this person. It is extremely possible to have this disorder and not know it. Sometimes people have disorders and dont realize it. But to call this person a liar is uncalled for.
    :biggrin_25513:

7. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    I found out by chance that I had sleep apnea about a year ago while having some minor surgery done, the nurses noticed it and I went for the test and now have a c-pap machine.
    I probabaly had it for many years but just never noticed it and didn't believe it until I had been on the machine and noticed how much more energy I had so shy was probably not lying just wasn't aware I don't understand the 6 to 8 week wait though the effects of the machine is seen in a very quick time a week at most.

8. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Given that sleep apnea is a *SLEEP* disorder, it's very possible to have it and not know it. It's also possible to develop it rapidly... trauma can do it.

In sleep apnea, while you think you are asleep, you actually wake up a number of times each hour, preventing you from dipping into REM sleep. So, you have the equivalent of a whole bunch of naps. Refreshing, to a point, but NOT true sleep.

Do you snore? Odds are better than even that YOU have it. How many cups of coffee does it take to get started in the morning?

I,too, have a c-pap. And, just to tickle the fancy, I'm told that come companies are installing c-pap machines in their cabs. The actions of the company in this regard (based on what we've been told, of course) are entirely reprehensible.

9. Billy BigRigger

Billy BigRigger Bobtail Member

May 11, 2008
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I agree 100% that people have disorders that they do not know about. While I would agree that some people definitely try and hide things that they hope won't surface, it's not always a given that we all know.

From personal experience, if my wife had not pointed out that there was an issue with my personality, I would never have been diagnosed with OCD which, by the way, gets in the way of a LOT of things. I knew something was amiss; I just didn't know what it was.

Regarding the issue of the company not providing transportation back home when you were rejected - that goes both ways, too. As a retired legal professional of some 18 years, I have noticed that the company may not always do the right thing unless forced to because they are as ignorant of the law as any other lay person. I would surmise that U.S. Xpress simply does not know (or understand) what their true obligations are towards their employees. You did the right thing by waiting them out.

10. durrty

durrty Light Load Member

May 10, 2008
    east
    i dont mean to offend but wasnt she the one who initiated the complaint ?

11. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I worked 2 and half years for US express. The first year I had 6 different dispatchers. Fleet managers as they call them now

I worked there 6.5 years. want to guess how many I had?

There not really managers either. All they do is send emails back and forth and play computer solitaire while you complain about no miles and sitting around doing nothing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.