Unknown loose wire

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Vidalecent, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Vidalecent

Vidalecent Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I work with an Isuzu box truck with a flip forward cab. I noticed a loose wire near the gas cap. It looks like a ground wire to me, and there is a nut welded to the back of a plate that looks like this wire should go there. The wire appears to be connected to the sending unit. Due to the location of the wire in relation to the gas cap, I don't want to screw it back in without confirming what it is.

Pictures of wire/plate.
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    If you use an ohm meter is it connected to the frame - ground? If so it probably belongs on the bottom of the screw above it. Might prevent a static spark at the filler neck?

Goodysnap and 650cat425 Thank this.
  4. Vidalecent

Vidalecent Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I do not have an ohm meter, but the front facing plate (the same side as the green gas cap) is connected to the frame.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Frame of the body or frame of the truck?
    Personally I feel it is overkill and done for liability coverage of the manufactures. If you answer your phone while pumping gas you are taking an equal risk.
    All that said I do not talk on the phone and touch fuel pump related things at the same time. Have seen fuel haulers with ground straps between the frame and 5th wheel. Carbon strips that drag the ground and ground connectors to use while loading or unloading.
    Just to the best of my understanding.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.