Unloading bauxite??

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Dave1837, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I was sent to a company with 48k of bauxite (never hauled it before) and when I arrived the foreman said I could only blow it off at 2-4 PSI because anything more than that just pulverizes the material and ruins it. I looked at where I was supposed to unload and it was 40 ft of hose connected to a 50 ft pipe that ran straight up the side of a building and 90'ed into a bin inside. I did like the customer asked and plugged 6 times. There just wasn't enought pressure to push the product that far. It took 10 hours to unload it all. I'm fairly new and was wondering if I was doing it wrong or if this is normal? The foreman said most guys unloading are there all day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I once unloaded plastic pellets that required 5 psi tops. Similar setup as yours. It took 8 hours. I have had one delivery of powdered soap take 15 hrs. It comes with the territory, I guess.

4. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    That's crazy. You'd think it would be easier with a bottom feed trailer and a conveyor lol

thekidsixer, npok, RockinChair and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.