Untreatable 'super gonorrhea' case could be 'tip of the iceberg'

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Chinatown, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    (CDC/Dr. Stephen J. Kraus)
    [​IMG]
    The medical community is sounding the alarm after a man in the U.K. has become the first patient with a type of gonorrhea infection that is not responding to the antibiotics commonly used to cure it.

Doctors are calling it the “worst-ever” case of the sexually transmitted disease, which hits approximately 78 million men and women every year.

According to the BBC, the unidentified man had a regular partner but picked up the disease earlier this year after a sexual encounter with a woman in South East Asia.

'These cases may just be the tip of the iceberg'

- Dr. Teodora Wi, World Health Organization
    STDS HIT RECORD HIGH IN US, 2M CASES REPORTED IN 2016

"This is the first time a case has displayed such high-level resistance to both of these drugs and to most other commonly used antibiotics," said Dr. Gwenda Hughes, from Public Health England, to the BBC.

For years now, doctors and scientists have been warning that the bacteria that cause gonorrhea are becoming more resistant to antibiotics.

'BACHELOR' HOPEFULS ROUTINELY GET REJECTED FOR HAVING STDS, NEW BOOK CLAIMS

"The bacteria that cause gonorrhoea are particularly smart. Every time we use a new class of antibiotics to treat the infection, the bacteria evolve to resist them," said Dr. Teodora Wi, Medical Officer, Human Reproduction, at World Health Organization (WHO).

Based on data pulled from 77 countries, WHO has found widespread resistance to older and cheaper antibiotics. Some countries – particularly high-income ones, where surveillance is best – are finding cases of the infection that are untreatable by all known antibiotics.

"These cases may just be the tip of the iceberg, since systems to diagnose and report untreatable infections are lacking in lower-income countries, where gonorrhea is actually more common," Dr. Wi said in a report last year.

FLORIDA TEACHER ACCUSED OF GIVING 17-YEAR-OLD STUDENT STD

The WHO lists decreasing condom use, increased urbanization and travel, poor infection detection rates and inadequate or failed treatment as contributors to the increase.

If left untreated, gonorrhea can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirths, severe eye infections in babies and infertility in both men and women.

In the United States, there are approximately 300,000 reported cases of gonorrhea each year. But because infected people often have no symptoms, the actual number of cases is likely closer to 600,000, according to Reuters.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Guy picks up a disease in a Third World country and brings it back to the mainland.
    That’s no good

IluvCATS, AModelCat and Grubby Thank this.
  5. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    This is getting to be the case with so many antibiotic resistant diseases now. But as the HIV and Aids scared the world, this should also.

AModelCat and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Hate to say it but a lot of people bring it on themselves. People are way to lax these days when it comes to being safe. I refuse to be with anyone until we get tested and I don't sleep with anyone unless we're in a commited relationship. Am I 100% immune to picking up anything? Absolutely not but my health is #1 priority and I'm going to do everything reasonable to maintain my health.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No guts; no glory! Of course, that thought changes when sailors line up at sick bay waiting for the Navy Corpsman to break out the penicillin.

8. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    When I was in the service in texas I got a few mild STDs in a row, the doc being an officer gave me a written order not to ever have sex again without a condom.
    Still following that order even though my tour ended decades ago.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Does it surprise anyone at all that @Chinatown is the one to have the news on new STDs out there?

10. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    That bicillin will put a lump in your ###, they never think about that when the line wraps three quarters around the block for the two doors they all shuffle in to--HM2 Carter

11. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    From what I read earlier,he got it in Thailand.

downloadfile-1.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.