Unusual CDL testing question

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by wcodyd, Dec 30, 2021.

1. wcodyd

wcodyd Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2021
    Hi All,
    Let me preface this question by stating I never intend to drive tractor trailers. I want to occasionally help a family member with his business by transporting a mini excavator or skid steer within the county from one job site to another. This would be an infrequent side job. The transport vehicle would be a pickup (half-ton or 3/4 ton) and the trailer would be a 16 ft utility travel rated for 14K pounds. This is a fairly specific application.

I don’t mind having a no-semi, no air brake, and an automatic transmission restriction on a CDL. I live in Arkansas. The Arkansas CDL page is here: Commercial Driver License (CDL) | Department of Finance and Administration

My question is what would be an acceptable vehicle/combination for CDL A testing? Suppose I use a Ram 2500 (automatic) with a 14K GVWR dump trailer. The pickup might have a GVWR of only 10K, but since the trailer is over 10K, would that qualify as an acceptable vehicle test combination?

Thanks in advance…

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Call your local bmv or DMV. That's a state specific question. In some states you will still need the class c or b lisense. Over ten k but under 26k.

Bean Jr. and tscottme Thank this.
  4. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    The trailer has to have a GVWR of 10,001 or more and when combined with the GVWR of the truck has to have a GCWR of 26,001 or more. The way you described the truck and trailer, no that would not be acceptable.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Sounds like you don't even need a CDL for that setup. Arkansas looks to follow most other states requirements. Here is a sample flowchart for the requirements to help out. Yes it's for Oklahoma, but Arkansas has the exact same requirements.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop S - Commercial Driver

1. a 3/4 ton truck of (I'm guessing) a 10,000 lb gvwr. Most 3/4's are 10k.
    2. A dump trailer with a GVWR of 14K.
    3. That gives a GCWR of 24k.

Now, to follow the flowchart.
    1. Is it a combo vehicle. - Yes
    2. Does it have a trailer with a GVWR of greater than 10k. - Yes
    3. Is the Combined Weight Rating is greater than 26k - No
    4. Is it a bu or pulling Hazmat. - No
    5. No CDL required.

P.S. Actually the one in the Arkansas CDL manual is much easier to follow, but still the same answer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.