update on my switch to the flatbed menard gig..

Discussion in 'Werner' started by BrenYoda883, Jun 19, 2014.

1. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Well it has been a couple weeks since I switched from the home on weekends intermodal account to the home daily menardsflatbed account...

I really like the flatbed gig... but, wont lie.. clearly there were muscles I wasnt using much that are now getting quite the workout... have had a few fignts with the tarps... the other day I had a double tarped load and it was super windy.. it was the day we had the two tornados... I was pretty tired and beat after pulling and folding those tarps... but.. what I love about it.. is there is a great sense of satisfaction in the sore muscles and being tired...

The guys on the account have been great.. and I really lucked out with my slip seat partner.. we keep a clean and truck.. and we work together... we let eachother know when we will be late getting back.. that way we dont have to just sit and wait in our car till the truck gets there... when we are checking we get the next load information.. that saves times.. if he gets the next load info from the guard.. I am often already rollin by the time I get the load information from dispatch...

The hardest part so far... I work the 2am to 2pm shift... it is a 30 minute drive from my house to the yard.. the biggest struggle was getti g enough sleep... seems wierd.. but it is true.. on the road .. i would shut down, shower, eat and go to bed.. not much else to do in your truck parked at a truck stop... but, now that i am home nigntly.. i have friends or family stopping by.. or i get busy with a home project.. so i really got to figure out a sleep strategy...

Anyway.... i am really liking this account... I am getting better and faster at pulling and folding the tarps... I have gotten some good tips and tricks from other drivers...

skellr Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. back40

back40 Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2014
    wow thats alot of time to sleep I get 4-6 hours a night welcome to local and be glad your not pushing 14

4. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Yeah.. it is technically the same as otr... I run from 2am to 2pm, so a 12 hour shift.. then an hour before and affer for getting to and from.. so that is my 14 hour day then a 10 hour reset... so it seems like I should have plenty of time.. but.. when your over the road you dont have to deal with the home stuff.. like mowing the yard, cleaning, laundry andcooking.. so, there have been a few times where I got invoved in cleaning or yard work then realized..####..I gotta go get some sleep...

So I just need to figure out what willwork best for me.. going to bed when I get and having some time before I go to work to do things.. or doing what I need then going to bed and wake and go to work...

I forgot to mention... I have actually vained 4lbs.. but went down a whole pant size.. must be toning up... I can gell my arms are getting more tone.. but not in a gym workout way.. I use different muscles for work so then for working out in a gym... especially my fore arms... they were sore the first week.. I think it is from winding the straps back up...

5. back40

back40 Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2014
    ya I hear ya its crazy and personally its better to do stuff after work and go to work fresh but thats just me and I dont get you guys that want to drive and hour each way we have plenty that do that where I work no thanks lol

6. HomeTownHauler

HomeTownHauler Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Eau Claire, WI
    Why in the hell are you working so hard to fold up the tarps. We have guys that fold em in a ball and strap em to the deck lol. I always get disappointed when I get a double diaper load. It usually means a lot of guest order junk. How are the junk backhaul pallets treating you? Good luck and be safe out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.