Update on total accident

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Bigtruck860, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bigtruck860

Bigtruck860 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2015
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/prosecuto...-crash-that-killed-nursing-students/391207220

A southeast Georgia prosecutor said Wednesday that he has dropped the criminal case against a trucking company charged in a fiery interstate crash last year that killed five nursing students.

District Attorney Tom Durden, of Georgia's Atlantic Judicial Circuit, said he made the decision after Total Transportation of Mississippi agreed to spend $200,000 setting up a nonprofit group offering nursing students financial aid. A grand jury indicted the company in June on charges of vehicular homicide and other crimes related to the deadly crash on April 22, 2015.

Related Headlines
    Total Transportation was the employer of John Wayne Johnson, who drove the tractor-trailer that slammed into traffic backed up on Interstate 16 because of an unrelated crash. The big truck smashed two vehicles in which nursing students from Georgia Southern University were commuting to work at a Savannah hospital.

Johnson, of Shreveport, Louisiana, still faces charges in the crash and is scheduled to appear in court next week. While Georgia law allows for corporations to be prosecuted in criminal cases, it rarely happens in the state.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Any truth to the $80 million I heard?

4. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Im sure there will be a lot of money to pay in this situation. My brother-in-law got 2 1/2 million from a trucking company for his injuries, course it messed him up for the rest of his life but at least it didnt kill him. I dont know how much his wife and kids got but they werent hurt as bad as he was. The truck T-boned him at the drivers door coming down a hill and couldnt get stopped for the redlight.

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    As in to the judge, to get him to drop charges? Wouldn't be surprised, but perhaps 80 mil is a little high.

6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Didn't think Total still had Peterbilts in its fleet. I thought a Freightliner was involved(Every Total truck I've seen to date is a Cascadia).

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Maybe it's same as with Arnold Transportation, they might be getting some of USeless Xpress' left over trucks

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  8. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    80 million seems really high. While they were young it appears none suffered. Don't get me wrong this was an accident waiting to happen A police officer in our city was shot/killed while on duty by another officer after 3 years family got 5 million 3.6 in cash rest in retirement and health insurance. Can't imagine it being more than that for each of the girls. As time goes on and time does go on it will get more civil thinking. Look how cheap ownership got off.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

9. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    drvrtech77, tucker and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.