upgrading B-> with trans?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tomjfisherman, Apr 19, 2018.

1. tomjfisherman

tomjfisherman Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I realize DMV might be the best place to ask this question but, to avoid standing in line for an hour, I thought I'd try here first.

When I got my CDL there wasn't the restrictions there are now for Auto/Manual trans and also 5th Wheel/Pintle hook trailers. My wife has a class B license that she took in a manual truck to work for a friend of ours. We're toying with the idea of buying our own tractor trailer to do some local work. If she was to take a Class A test in an automatic trans truck would she then get an Auto trans restriction on her license? Would she have a class B that allowed manuals but a class A that was restricted to Autos? Anyone been through this?

I could see a same scenario where someone took a test in a dump truck with a pintle hook trailer and had a 5th wheel restriction (I assume my state isn't the only state doing this) and then later wanted to re-test with a 5th wheel truck. Would they have to use a manual trans not to get an Auto trans restriction?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    It would be better for your wife to take the driving test in a full manual. I doubt she is going to get grandfathered in like this.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    No, you don't maintain an old license. Upgrading to a class a will eliminate the class b, and if the test is taken in an automatic, you get the restriction.

Plenty of places rent trucks for taking the test. Find one that has a truck with a manual transmission and pay the couple hundred bucks to use it.

Bean Jr. and ZVar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.