Upgrading front axle westernstar

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by n4ane, Feb 22, 2022.

1. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    So I have decided (for a few reasons) and number one being I over load it all the time. The factory front axle is a 12k and the springs are also 12k. I need to upgrade to something along the lines of a 18k or 20k axle and spring combo. The truck was originally an OTR truck that has been converted into a dump truck. So far is been a great truck being as that I am in NC it being a 3 axle truck I can only run 54K gross and that's fine. But at the same time when I get loaded to that 54k the front end is weak and doesn't handle the curves very well. So I want to upgrade it I have attached the data plate of the front axle that is currently under it. Also I know that I will need to upgrade some other parts like steering box and most likely pump as well. I also know that if I go all the way up to 20k I will most likely need to upgrade to a double box set up to.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    No point in a 20k front end unless you can put 20k on it. Either way, 18k-20k isn’t going to cure the problem. Truck just isn’t built heavy enough in the front. Your current problem is overloaded springs, and frame flex. Going heavier on the axle will make the frame flex worse. By how much depends on wheelbase. We went 18k in the front of one of ours for the same problem you mention. Took the dive out of the front, and the extra brake was nice but you’d chase the thing from tree line to tree line at highway speed.

n4ane Thanks this.
  4. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    I 100% agree frame flex is definitely a problem my ultimate plan is to upgrade the frame as well ultimately I would like a 20k front and 20k drop axle and double frame but upgrade as money became available

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.