UPS Freight Potential Strike? Through the Wire In J.O.C. 11-1-18

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    UPS Teamsters: UPS Freight to ‘empty network’ ahead of potential strike

I guess the teamsters and UPS Freight have hit a stumbling block. I guess the teamsters union isn't very happy with the current UPS Freight contract and they want a new deal. The big issues is the amount of sub-contracting UPS Freight is doing. I can see where there coming from the union feels that all the company drivers and equipment should all be used first before any subcontracting takes place and I would agree with that it seems right to me.

Anyhow according to the article UPS Freight like I said this is according to the article stopped taking inbound shipments on Thursday, they are not interested in stranding customers/clients shipments if a possible strike occurs so according to the article they have been emptying the network out. Is this true? Now they expect another union vote I think on Nov-7 to go through.

According to the pundits UPS Freight shouldn't lose any long term business, because they don't want to strand customer/client shipments and volume. UPS Freight I think is the 5th largest LTL Carrier in the country. FedEx Freight I think is the largest LTL carrier and XPO and YRC are like 2 or 3. Anyhow while UPS is not the biggest, they handle a lot of important and high profile shipments a lot of the big name places use UPS Freight and they have there hands in e-commerce and stuff like that. So they do have a pretty critical and important piece of the pie.

Now according to other pundits, LTL shippers who use UPS Freight and have to jump ship because a strike takes place should not expect, any rate reduction or deals from other LTL carriers because LTL business this time of year is pretty much at capacity and truck load carriers are stretched "as tight as a drum" so while the pundits don't think any shipments will be stranded and they think all the holiday freight shipments will get through, it's going to cost shippers $$ if a potential UPS Freight strike comes to fruition.

misterG, Dave_in_AZ, Cardfan89 and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Here's the dealio:

Too many guys(and i might even be doing this myself soon) have overbought. They got new, nice cars----mercedes, suburbans, cadillacs, LINcoin navagators etc. Yes, lots of LTL drivers here at UPS freight have mercedeses. A large house. And 2 or more shorties (kids). In addition here on the east coast, and i'm sure in many other major metro areas irregardless of location, we're getting taxed up the butt. And most of these guys don't have any tax shelters besides the house.
    AND THE COMPANY KNOWS THIS.

Really funny how the pervading atmosphere only a few weeks ago was, "The company is full of crap. The new contract is b.s., VOTE NO" etc. etc.

Now it's, "Well, you know the contract really isn't that bad. i can't afford not to work. i think we should vote yes."

Too many guys cannot afford NOT to work----they may lose their cars, house etc.

The company KNOWS this.

STRIKE AIN'T HAPPENING.

Yes, we are in emptying mode----the yards are messes. This, is a colossal waste of time and energy.

stwik, misterG, dog-c and 7 others Thank this.
  4. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Thanks Russian I knew you would have the answer. I always skeptical of what I read even if it's from legitimate places and never want to report anything as fact.

I can totally see over buying I know our taxes here in Cleveland they just had a property tax hike. So far I don't think I was targeted I never got anything in the mail saying my taxes were going up, but many others have. People now a days have certainly saved less and bought more. I see all kinds of new cars and fancy pick up trucks with lift kits and custom rims on them and stuff.

Me personally I could be one of those people, but I'm not into that I like my 23 year old car and I've been trying to get my bills down as a matter of fact. I've tried to spend less at the grocery store, I haven't been doing as much yard work and stuff around the house so I've been spending less at Home Depot and I kind of budget my self. I ride my bike places instead of driving when possible and safe to do so to save gas (I don't know if this actually helps, but you know.)

I mean I know I work with guys at my yard who probably have over bought some.

I was talking to another driver yesterday who's maybe a year or 2 older then me 32-33 he's a single guy to lives in a rental house about a mile or so from our yard he doesn't live to lavishly, but he doesn't over buy either his cars older and he doesn't have a lot of bills but we certainly could be over spenders we make enough but that's not me or him, but I'm not in the business of keeping up with the Jones's.

But that all makes a lot of sense good info.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Of course they're subcontracting around the union, looking for options for when the union decides they want more pay than the company makes.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

UPS is an incredibly Rich, incredibly profitable company that is looking to squeeze more profit.

This entire situation is created by the greed of corporate UPS trying to extract more money off of the backs of their company employees.

While I like to doing UPSs contract work, I support the UPS employees that should be able to retain their job and their contractual benefits !!...without being jeopardized by the greedy corporate interests of UPS !!

The timing of this strike is incredibly critical in the midst of the Holiday Rush season!!

dog-c, Mike2633 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    This is untrue.

UPS just wants to squeeze more profit... Last year was $18.8 BILLION Profit.... An increase of almost a billion from the previous year.

This year they want to continue to squeeze and increase profit.....BUT they are claiming that if they need to satisfy the Union, company drivers they will "lose" money.

This however is a complete lie, they are not actually losing any money it is just a slightly lower predicted profit margin. Not an actual loss.

The choice is having a ever slightly reduced profit margin and keeping company employees or Outsourcing the work with contractors and throwing all the employees on to the taxpayer unemployment.

This is 100% UPS corporate greed.

They will still be over $18 BILLION Profit this year if they agree to the contract.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    The purpose of having a business is to make money, they should just tell all their employees you're getting x amount, a decent livable wage of let's say 18 bucks an hour, more if that's what it takes to not be homeless in that area, if you don't like it there's the ####ing door right over there. What are they getting paid now? If next year is a real crappy year and the business doesn't make much are the employees going to kick some money back to keep shareholders happy, not ####ing likely. The business makes more money from one year over the other and immediately all the employees think they should be paid better,they never think they should make less when the company does though.

9. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Contract negotiations MAY be dragged out for months...maybe years. Small package already has their national contract agreed upon, even though the majority voted NO, but it was overruled by Hoffa and Taylor. So they're pretty much a done deal. Now they have to wait on Freight's decision and ratifying all the supplemental contracts (regional and local) before EVERYTHING is set in stone. Even the Air line workers voted NO on they're contract, and they haven't had a contract in 4 years.

This kinda reminds me of the Overnight strike that went on for 3 years. Looks like Overnights ugly strike legacy MIGHT come back AGAIN, now that they're UPSF.....

Metallica88 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013

Or they could just be looking around the industry and asking themselves why they have to pay more for drivers than everybody else is paying.

LoneCowboy and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  11. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    We have the same thing happening with our drivers unlike ups we are not union but paid like it well most of the guys working have newer cars big houses and plenty of bills that rely on a big paycheck that's why they do the dreaded foodservice lol they dont want to take the pay cut to go to the bottom of a p and d board at a ltl or have to work nights driving linehaul so the stick it out unloading food.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.