UPS vs Old Dominion doubles

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Bodhiknight, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I am probably as relaxed as you will find, but I will point something out if I have firsthand information so don’t get too uptight when I do. If I knew you and you needed the money it would already be in your hand as a gift. I don’t loan a dime to anyone anymore because it is too much effort to get it back. Yes I know you are only kidding and so am I.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    moloko Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Now that is some tact !!

Banker Thanks this.
  4. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    my biggest regret is not working at ups right out the door actually.

5. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Long term I say UPSF. Better pay and benefits. Better retirement.

In the short term though you'll have it easier at OD.

One thing to remember about OD is if you get laid off....you're pretty much let go with the possibility to be hired back. When hired back you start all over as a new employee.
    UPSF you keep your seniority.
    And if I remember correctly OD has had large layoffs during the recession, and afterwards also.
    They also do not pay OT until after 60 hours for p&d.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Id like to address the talk on treatment when working for UPS.

From my experience it is not that bad. Not for feeders at least. Package car drivers are under a lot more stress though.

If you suck at your job and just don't like to work, then you might have a hard time.
    There are a lot of guys that believe they don't need to answer to anyone but the union. They have a mentality that is anti establishment. They're always taking advantage of the company any chance they get and always challenging management. So these people have a target on their backs and are watched more closely. These same people think they are being victimized and are the loudest when it comes to giving a terrible review about working at UPS.

I do my job and see MANY others do the same and we are left alone and treated with respect.

7. DYLAN_131

DYLAN_131 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2018
    ODFL for sure. I worked on the docks at the Denver terminal and spoke with many drivers. None had anything bad to say.

I've heard horror stories from UPS though...

8. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    "Brilliant business model designed to hire cheap labor while dangling stability and security in front of them."

That is exactly spot on. At least for freight, they pay guys in the first few years way below market value because they dangle that ups name in front of them.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    LtlAnonymous and Coover Thank this.
  9. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    Thats the problem. They run run city guys til 11pm, sometimes midnight in the spring/summer.

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  10. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    100k clear to work like a slave for big brown. No thanks. I guarantee you he had maxed out hours every week for the entire year. Was he single or divorced? Kids? And with the new contract, the small pack guys are gonna get screwed with the new class of hybrid drivers that will cut into their OT. I dont believe that will really affect the feeder guys too much, though.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  11. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Jeez, I get cranky if I have a 10hr day:rolleyes:

45/week is all I want/need

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.