UPS, what do they pay, and is this a good place for an O/O?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JNelson1214, Jan 22, 2019.

1. JNelson1214

JNelson1214 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    what do they pay any bad or good reviews? My wife currently dispatches for me but we have a newborn and she is having trouble finding time to talk to brokers all day. Any reviews would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlexanderK

AlexanderK Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Wouldn't be an option for you to hire independent dispatcher?

4. JNelson1214

Jan 21, 2019
    No don’t want to pay someone to book my loads. Freight rates have been kind up and down the last few weeks too so just trying to keep options open.

5. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Is there any reason you can't do it yourself? I do it myself and I do just fine..

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  6. JNelson1214

Jan 21, 2019
    Who do you booked through? My wife some days will spend all day calling around bc everyone will try low balling rates.

7. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Well when I first started with my own numbers I would get on DAT board and i just started calling.. some low balled, some didnt.. it was rough at first but once I found my lane it got better... you just gotta get on there and call.. if they low ball you then move on to the next one

Eddiec, JNelson1214 and Jim&Jay Thank this.
  8. Jim&Jay

Jim&Jay Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2019
    Not to hijack a thread but have a question on booking yourself while otr.
    How do you manage your drive schedule and booking schedule?
    I have yet to hit the road and it's looking more and more like i'm going to have to book and ride myself.
    Obviously you're not running down the road with a laptop and phone in hand trying for your next gig.
    Don't brokers/loadboard contacts have down time? Say you do a dropoff at 10pm. Can you still make contact with people about your next load? I would think the office/broker would be closed late night right?
    I'm just trying to get a feel for what my "normal" hours of operation will be and how to manage my off time efficiently, all while still being able to make contact and book my next load or two when or before I get to my drop off.

9. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Maybe I am, and maybe I'm not :eek:

10. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Normal hours for most brokers are 8-5... Monday thru Friday. If you drop off a load at 10 PM then you should've already had a load lined up.. all about timing...
    I use my phone most of the time and I just make calls. I have the Note 9 so I can sign documents with my phone and send documents with my phone...
    When I need to take pics of any documents, bill, or receipts I use an IPAD and the app called camscanner... takes 2 mins...

Jim&Jay Thanks this.
  11. JNelson1214

Jan 21, 2019
    Most broker are only available until 5 pm and noon on Saturdays. This is why my wife has been doing all my booking so I am not trying to drive and book loads. A ticket isn’t worth booking a load. I have no idea how guys are able to get loads booked while driving especially as much as she has called brokers throughout day trying to find the best load for us. We typically run the Midwest STL to Chicago or Indy area.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.