US factory CEOs to Trump: Jobs exist; skills don't

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump brought two dozen manufacturing CEOs to the White House on Thursday and declared their collective commitment to restoring factory jobs lost to foreign competition.
    Yet some of the CEOs suggested that there were still plenty of openings for U.S. factory jobs but too few qualified people to fill them. They urged the White House to support vocational training for the high-tech skills that today's manufacturers increasingly require — a topic Trump has seldom addressed.
    "The jobs are there, but the skills are not," one executive said during meetings with White House officials that preceded a session with the president. (Reporters were permitted to attend the meetings on the condition of not quoting individual executives by name.)

One executive said in discussions with White House officials that his company has 50 participants in a factory apprenticeship program, but could take 500 if enough were qualified. But he said that in his experience, most students coming out of high school lack the math and English skills to absorb technical manuals.

In the meantime, some data supports the CEOs' concerns about the shortage of qualified applicants. Government figures show there are 324,000 open factory jobs nationwide — triple the number in 2009, during the depths of the recession.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This is interesting. So let's see if I'm understanding this correctly ...

In 4-6 weeks, we can teach a monkey to drive a 70 foot, 80k pound truck on busy North American roads with high exposure rates to dangerous conditions and high traffic densities, and with little to no direct supervision, but we can't teach people to do factory floor work in a controlled environment, while under constant direct supervision.

Is that what we're being told?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I think they're referring to positions that need skills a little more advanced then a general labor position. Before I started driving, the machine shop I worked for ran into this problem a lot. We were getting applicants with bare minimum math skills and basic blueprints confused them so much it made their brains hurt. We ended up just picking the likeliest candidates and teaching them what they needed to know. Someone remembered that I used to teach high school geometry and I got railed into being the training officer, ignoring the fact that I hated teaching which was why I worked in their dumb shop to begin with.

It worked out pretty well for not having any other choice but to grow our own employees. Eventually the owner got together with the other businesses in town and they started up a community education center that focused on teaching people things they could use to become more than a button pusher.

Dharok Thanks this.
  5. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Another issue is finding people that can pass a drug test. Thats what I hear anyway. The increasing legalization of pot dosent help.

Pintlehook and spyder7723 Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Also nobody wants to work for $15 per hour, make it $30 and people will start coming in. The problem now is at $30 per hour company can't compete with overseas manufacturing

Toomanybikes and austinmike Thank this.
  7. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Mike Rowe has been saying this for years. Plenty of jobs out there for people who are willing to learn a trade instead of spending 4-8 years in college only to put themselves in years of debt they might not be able to get a job to pay off.

8. Inthedark

Inthedark Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2016
    springfield MO
    If you look at the thread, "what did you do before driving". Tells our side of the story, and why.

I was offered a machining job a week ago. Due to no college and the location, they want to pay far less than an area that has more demand for manufacturing people. I declined, and hope the guy they do hire crashes a machine or two. You get what you pay for...

9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I agree, The hourly rate doesn't work out with the cost living. if groups shared a rental or lived in a tent, walked to and from work, kept clean wherever, etc etc they might make it. yeah there's a lack of skilked trade employees.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's it. I remember a couple years ago a factory in Ohio laid the employees off and told them they will call them back as soon as some refurbishment is completed. Once the factory was upgraded, they called everyone back to work. They couldn't learn to operate the new equipment, so the factory provided free training at a trade school. The employees still couldn't grasp it because they couldn't do basic math or read simple instructions and understand them. The factory had to downsize because of this. This is common throughout the USA.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Raising the minimum wage doesn't help the situation, either. Where are people with no education, no skills, and no experience supposed to go when what they bring to the table isn't worth what employers are being forced to pay? This leads to high youth unemployment, so they go to college to get "educated" running up debt. Now, they are an overly qualified fry cook with $50,000 in student loans living with their parents because they still are unqualified for any decent paying job.

Couple that with atrocious educational policies (no child left behind, common core, etc.) where students are taught to the test (because that's what the SCHOOL is graded on) instead of basic logic and critical thinking skills. That and the "everybody is a winner" philosophy has made it so that it's OK if 2 + 2 doesn't = 4 as long as you think you're right. Can't tell anyone they are wrong these days, especially kids.

So, they grow up not knowing anything, thinking they are the best at everything. Then, when confronted with reality, they need "safe spaces" and puppy dogs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.