US Foods driver shortage?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by mpd240, Aug 20, 2021.

1. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Heard today from a friend that works for Reinhart that US foods is pulling service from Madison, Brookings, and Sioux Falls Sd. Also pulling out of Mankato Mn market. They are no longer able to service their customers due to lake of drivers. Any of you US foods guys hear this?

Trucker61016 and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX

Not an answer to your question on US Foods but a couple weeks ago I picked up a load from performance food group drove it to Illinois where I met the owner of 16 restaurants. He and his employees had five trucks to break down my load and deliver to all 16 restaurants.

Due to driver staffing the only way the guy was going to be able to keep his restaurants open was to deliver the food himself.

From that experience I believe the US Foods, Syscos, PFG’s are dying for drivers.

4. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Google maps is already showing the DCs in Sioux Falls and Fairmont MN as permanently closed. Any drop yards they serviced would be closed too.

It’s crazy how things have swung down and back up in the past year and a half. The location I used to work out of had to lay off half their drivers last year. Now they’re losing entire markets because they don’t have enough drivers.

I’ve thought about going back because I miss the challenges and hard work...but this LTL linehaul money is impossible to walk away from at this point in my life.

5. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    A friend showed me a Facebook advertisement for SYGMA in Kansas City that said if you MOVED to Kansas City the hiring bonus was $20,000 but $10,000 if you did not need to move to work out of their Kansas City location.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    Sysco in my area just dropped 35% of there accounts because of driver shortage.

jmz and bzinger Thank this.
  7. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    They closed the warehouse in Sioux Falls last year. They have been shuttling trailers to Luverne Mn. Drivers then picked them up there to service Sioux Falls area. I spoke to a driver when we were at the same restaurant. His trailer was shuttled to him from Omaha.

bzinger and jmz Thank this.
  8. chiefsfan66

chiefsfan66 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2021
    Wow...

9. chiefsfan66

chiefsfan66 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2021
    What ltl company do you work for, just curious

10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    FedEx Freight.

11. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green
    One of US Food’s problems is that they require new drivers to commit to Saturdays for two years.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.