USA Truck Driver Newbies, this post is for guys who are wondering what usa like

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by Groove, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Groove

Groove Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    ME:
    I'll start off with myself. this is very important. I'm 22 years old.(recently turn) i have no kids or wife at home. i did c1 schooling like any other newbie. it was kool that pre-trip do help you in the long run. i went to community college and graduated with associates in business. i have no prior experience or knowledge other than tractor trailer was in my way whenever i had to get to places. but having CDL is a great safety net. trucking will always be here because it the cheap mode of transporting goods in bulk.

Training:
    i start with usa in September(training). my first phrase trainer was sloppy. this guy actually told me not to kill the flies in his truck. that was something you gotta deal with or wait for another trainer and prolong you becoming a first seat driver. Beside that he was a great driver but his attitude got him bad loads i mean all our loads where 150 miles or less. i had learned he had curse at dispatch out too many times, plus he has a strong African accent too.but he taught me how to drive and back in to docks so so well he would fall asleep whenever i drove cuz he trusted my abilities but due to the nature of getting bad load he ended up quitting usa n went else only to come back a week later. in that time i got another trainer. he had a dedicated load. he was a little weird but a good guy. i dislike when he was rushing me into the docks so he could get to the clients. these docks were difficult because Toyota motors(client) had crap in your way so i learn by the second week how to deal with very limited space to back up. my first phrase trainer told me in the beginning before you do anything think it out. that is what i did. by the time i got my full 175 hrs i got my own truck in October. By then i learn from usa and i believe in any trucking company things will happens and you will be late DO NOT STRESS YOURSELF. don't make plans for special events chances are you wont make them. Sometime you will argue and not agree with your trainer. just remember your here to learn and get thru training because when you get your own truck you will feel so free, its so rewarding getting your own truck.

Company as an hole and my trucks:
    My overall experience with usa as a company is not to bad. i will rate them an 8 out of 10, base from all the horror stories i heard from people. USA Truck has been pretty good to me. i also learned what you put in, is what you get out. TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT AND SAY THANK YOU, AND I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE SOMEONE WILL LOOK OUT FOR YOU. expect your truck to have issues!!!! my first truck was a 2011 prostar(love the space inside) but broke down for good. then they gave me and 09 keniworth. i love the look. it different and i felt usa hook me up cuz that truck is a lot faster then the other trucks and i got sum kool features on there. My fleet manager and i get along fine. since i been on the road by myself. i recently recieve my first tickets and they came in two, they were thru my first dot inspections. they were very minor and didn't affect me too much. they were overweight and trailer brakes.(they were my fault) trust me i learn my lesson after that. once it over 32k pounds get it weight at the cat station. lol but you will make mistakes. JUST don't get into accidents, sometimes people will do stupid stuffs, you miss your turns and think you can make the u turn and find out your too long. but i learn you take it one day at a time and it will go by so fast, you will be home for home-time. Trucking can be hard if you have kids or a family but if you have a cell phone talk to them while your driving, it will ease the blow a lot. if your like me single, young, nothing at home but mom and dad and chicks. i talk to girls all day or listen to music. BTW I STRESS THIS A LOT, DON'T WORK FOR USA BELIEVING YOUR GOING TO MAKE 800.00 GROSS every week. other than than you will be fine. i like usa as a company.

Essentials:
    if you get these items you be fine:

1.trucker base atlas (mandatory) trucker base atlas tells you what road you could be on and it paper.
    2.Trucker base GPS (optional but worth it) gps is great to navigate but can make you do unnecessary stuff.
    3.Smartphone with internet access Iphone preferred (mandatory) sometimes the shipper address change and you could just Google it.
    4.Pilot Card (mandatory) it free and you get free showers, and points systems it become better than a debit card lol
    5.mini fridge (optional) this can help you save money.
    6.hand-free headphones (mandatory) the reason i said headphones cuz you wanna talk on the phone or listen to music the headset doesn't let you listen to music.

Pay:
    the first 60 days as an first seat driver it 600 gross unless you had 2500 or more miles that week.
    those cash advance will bite you in the ### later but you will need them if you been behind on bills. i had about 4,000 dollars in bills to pay. but by the end of November i finally caught up. it was rough. and that from sept to the end of nov
    the pay 28 cent a mile isn't too bad but make sure you run and you read that hand book. If you breakdown ask if your fleet manager can you receive break down pay. if your at a pilot on a weekend(Saturday to Monday morning) with no load ask for weekend pay. (they do have it)

Wish you guys the best of luck. and welcome to the family. feel free to post your experiences or questions I'll tried to answer them!

ezmed, kerosene jockey, valbob and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Voltrucker

Voltrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    West TN
    Great thread. Keep on truckin'

Groove Thanks this.
  4. dawgtrucker

dawgtrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    That $600/week that you are guaranteed is only for 60 days. Don't expect to average 2500 miles starting off, but it will come if you show your fleet manager that you are willing to run, deliver loads early when possible, and be profitable. Go the extra mile for your fleet manager. When he asks you to take a load that you might not want to take as a favor for him, he will remember that later on down the road. Remember it is a relationship between the driver and the fleet manager. If you make him look good he will do the same for you. If you are going to be late on a load communicate with your dispatch and have a good reason, but do it far enough in advance that they can do something about it. Don't wait until the last minute... and a trucker's GPS will get you in trouble. All you need is good trip planning and only use the GPS as a guide. Plan for any surprises because surprises as a driver is not a good thing. I've driven for two years and USA for a year and a half. I have been to 44 out of the lower 48 and have driven dry van and reefer. If you need anything don't hesitate and ask me. Don't get me wrong, I don't know everything myself, but I do know more than most with only two years experience. The most important thing is that I talk with many other drivers with more experience to gain knowledge from their experiences and I suggest you do the same.

mje Thanks this.
  5. nyyankee

nyyankee Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Hey groove what school did u go to for your cdl ?

6. Groove

Groove Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    They sent me to forth wayne, in

7. Groove

Groove Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey They sent me to forth wayne, in. I drove up there

8. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Hey Groove. You got a good attitude. Just keep on your path. Work hard, keep your record clean, build your time with USA and before you know it, you will qualify for many great opportunities down the road.

Good Luck!

Groove and kerosene jockey Thank this.
  9. Groove

Groove Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  10. icedcold

icedcold Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I have had a similar experience with USA thus far. A novice, I am only two months in and have had my fair share of experiences thus far. It really seems like good communication and mutual respect goes a long way whether its on the Qualcomm or via phone. The 600$ for 60 days has been nice, I know its going to expire here soon, so we will see how the mileage is in days to come. I only have more of the same to say, respect, hard work, and responsibility goes a long way. Work hard, deliver early when possible, and act like a professional, even if you don't feel like one! I don't have a truckers GPS, and have navigated using customer directions and an atlas thus far. I am locked in for a year, and hope the next 10 months go like the first two have. There are guys out there that will help you when you get in a bind or a tough spot, I have been on the receiving end of some great advice and help from experienced guys so far.

mje and JONb61 Thank this.
  11. EggoTrucker

EggoTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    When are you elgible for for the lease purchase program?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.