USA Truck Journey - STARTS

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by Gold_Miner, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Gold_Miner

Gold_Miner Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Well after working for both Swift and Werner, I decided to give USA Truck a try. I am supposed to start orientation on August 21, 2013 in Van Buren, AR. So far I am impressed with the recruiters, they are professional and very nice. They called me twice last week and everyday this week making sure that I am still going to orientation.

I leave on Monday, August 19 at 6:45PM from Austin. It will be an all night bus trip. I will arrive in Fort Smith @ 6:30AM on Tuesday, Aug. 20. I am supposed to call cab and have them take me to hotel (although I forgot to write down name).

I will be in Van Buren all day Tuesday because orientation does not start until 6:15 AM on Wednesday. So I guess I wll have to find a way to pass time on Tuesday (any suggestions???).

Anyway this is the start of my journey... I will keep you posted....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.
    Pete

4. jbourque

jbourque Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    south english iowa
    u have been in trucking 2 years and you are on your third company. you need to slow down a little if you are going to spend any time in trucking, because pretty soon companys will not want to hire you. jumping from job to job is not good for you, most of the mega carriers are about the same. you are not gaining anything by changing jobs with the mega carriers

Thomas0810 and DGStrong71 Thank this.
  5. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Yeah, I know that, but I have anger issues. When a trucking company does not get me home until 3 or 4 days after I have scheduled it, I get mad. The reason I choose USA Truck is I talked to a lot of drivers and they say they do get you home most of the time on time. I don't mind being late once or twice, but with Werner and Swift, they never got me home on time.

6. driver7702003

driver7702003 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    FLORIDA
    Usa trys to get you home on time but not always able to alot depends on were you live and the freight in that zone

Thomas0810 Thanks this.
  7. jbourque

jbourque Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    south english iowa
    gold miner was in trucking 44 years and one of the first complaints i heard was about not getting home on time. that complaint was in trucking long before i started and i dont think it will ever go away. you need to get your anger issues under control before trucking consumes you,and it will if you continue to let things bother you. trucking is a good way to make money but bad for the home life, it has always been that way. while you are at usa keep looking for a better job one that you really like and stay there. lots of luck and b careful out there

Gold_Miner Thanks this.
  8. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    JBourque, Yeah anger is a bad thing, When I was a younger man (1992) I had it real bad. I am a big guy and back then, I used to drink alot. I don't drink any more because of one issue back then. I got in a fight with 4 mexican guys in a bar and I #### near killed one of them. Big Guy + Special Forces + Alcohol + Wife Cheating With Mexican Guy = Disaster..... The only thing I am glad about now is that is that I have been sober for a long time and currently married to a great women.

Tom

9. Puppage

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good for you, man. Sobriety is defiantly the easier, softer way to live. God willing, next month I'll have 17 yrs sober.

Pete

Drac1985, Thomas0810, J_FROG and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Gold_Miner

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Thanks Puppage, It is a better life without the booze. Also, the incident over 20+ years ago taught me that getting angry and using violence is very bad. I still get mad when trucking companies don't get me home on time or someone cuts me off in traffic, but I handle it much better today.

That is why I left Werner. While I was with them they never got me home on time. I was usually 3~4 days late on every home time. I live near Austin, Texas, so I am in a major trucking lane and it looks like the could at least get me home every now and then ontime. I would always tell my DM way ahead of time, when I would like to be home. I would usually try and stay out 3 weeks and expected 3 days off. Sometimes Werner would keep me out 5~6 weeks without getting me home. The final straw came when my son was married and I told them I had to be home on a certain date - NO EXCEPTIONS. When it got close to that date I reminded my DM. I was driving teams then, so it got up to the date, I called my DM and told him I am going home tomorrow PERIOD... Next day I quit and went to son's wedding. My team mate also quit and returend the truck to Werner.

Main reason I quit was I could tell that the old anger issues were growing and I was getting way to upset over the home time thing. It would be better to part ways with Werner than do something I would regret later.

So as you can see, I have my anger under control now. When I start getting angry, I just walk away....

11. Puppage

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    We learn a lot as we age, don't we? I would have done the same thing you did. Somethings are just too important. Many safe miles to you.

Pete

Gold_Miner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.