USA Truck Orientation Physical Question

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by texasbigbird54, Jul 24, 2013.

1. texasbigbird54

texasbigbird54 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    I am seriously considering USA Truck for my first OTR driving job. At 58, I am not in the greatest physical condition, although I have begun working out to improve it. I am overweight, but my BP is good with my medication. If I were to be given a pre-hire to USA Truck and go through orientation, what physical tests should I expect to have to pass? Schneider as an example has a video that demonstrates their testing. The toughest tests for me if going with Schneider would be stepping up and down a 12" stair for one minute, and having to squat under a 40" platform for a time to simulate getting under a trailer. I have tested myself on the stair step, and i am sucking wind big time after doing that, although I can complete it, so I am targeting that exercise in particular to improve upon. Please let me know what I might face at USA Truck . Thanks.

RetiredSarge Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LeftEyeDaTruckr

LeftEyeDaTruckr Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Oakland, California
    you can expect those type of tests with most physicals...it does depend on the doctor and the center though, because i didn't have to do any of that

texasbigbird54 Thanks this.
  4. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

When I went to work for USA we got off of GreyHound went to the terminal and next thing we were at the Doctor office for the physical.

5. jbourque

jbourque Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    south english iowa
    dont tell the doctor anything, they are being paid to find out what is wrong with you.

6. Klatu

Klatu Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Argyle, TX
    If you're talking about the "Work Out" part of the equation, USA doesn't do that. They need truck drivers not Cage Boxers. :biggrin_25523:

7. J_FROG

J_FROG Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    49 states and Canada
    If you have a pulse and are still breathing, pass a drug test and your bp and sugar levels meet DOT requirements you can be hired as a driver. If not, then apply for a dm or recruiter job.

8. texasbigbird54

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    Okay, so if I am understanding your replies correctly, USA Truck does NOT put a new driver in the orientation physical through all those physical agility tests such as stair stepping, crouching/duckwalk, weight lifting, etc?

9. LeftEyeDaTruckr

LeftEyeDaTruckr Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Oakland, California
    the best thing to do is ask your recruiter, have you called them yet?

texasbigbird54 and davidbonkers Thank this.
  10. texasbigbird54

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    No, but I will. I am afraid it may be a little too early yet to contact them. My mother recently passed away, and I am executor of her estate, and in the process of settling it. I should be ready to get the ball rolling for a trucking job hopefully by mid August, and hope to be in school by late August or Sept if all goes well. I should be able to pass a physical with agility tests, but I am 58 and have lost some strength and stamina over the last couple of years while taking care of my elderly mother. I am just trying to research, and get a good idea of what I will be facing.

11. texasbigbird54

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    Thanks, LeftEyeDaTruckr. Could you be more specific as to what exactly the physical does require and what they asked of you? I am guessing you recently went to work for USA Truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.