Use of Lights

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Powder Joints, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Please next time you think its a good idea to blind the guy who just past you reconsider, doing nothing is far better than that stupid high beam switch.

Learn what signals mean before you decide to use them. A Flash of the High Beams means do not come over Im going to pass you.

If you want to be polite, dim your low beams for a second, that way your telling me, Your comfortable with the distance come on over.

Also Driving / Fog lamps should be treated like high beams only used when necessary, and then only when you are not going to blind someone with a light you've nnever bothered to check the adjustment on.:biggrin_25512:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    heavyweight Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I agree that switch on a 4 wheeler is referred to as " flash to pass " . Does it make sense to blind someone just before you come around them ?
    I remember an incident several years back when a truck tried to pass a 4 wheeler and the 4 wheeler decided to speed up and stay beside the trailer tandems and hang the truck in the left lane . After a mile or so the 4 wheeler decided he'd "flash to pass " and speed up and pass on the right . But the truck driver saw the flash and thought he was finally clear . He pulled to the right , spun out the 4 wheeler and the driver went off the road and was killed . When police got witnesses' accounts no charges were filed against the truck driver . The 4 wheeler driver should have been nominated for a Darwin award .
    But thousands of truck drivers that have passed a vehicle interpret the flash as a signal they are clear to move back in the lane . It is stupid in many cases . I have seen many trucks flash a vehicle that has passed them long before there is a safe stopping distance between them .

heavyweight and crazyray Thank this.
  4. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    The flash can be bad but nothing compared to miss aimed headlights which always seam to point in your mirror for ever or little pickups hauling too much and end up spotin critters in the trees.

heavyweight Thanks this.
  5. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    I definitely prefer dimming the lights to the high beams same as the "thanks" after passing some flash their back up lights I appreciate the gesture but some of 100 watt lights are pretty hard on the eyes. P.S. If you signal someone in and they hit you or something it's your fault.

6. punkinhed

punkinhed Medium Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    hello, cleveland!
    i love the pickmeup drivers who leave the bed lights on over the rear window.

7. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    I dim my lights at night, and turn the HB's on during the day / at dusk, so i'm not blinding anyone but i know they see me. I do not trust four wheelers when they do ANYTHING with their headlights.

heavyweight Thanks this.
  8. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    HB's on durring the day are just as irritating as they are at night. Regular low beams are sufficiant durring the day...

heavyweight Thanks this.
  9. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    The only time I use the HB is when a 4 wheeler cuts in to close to me, and I let them no I was not happy..

heavyweight Thanks this.
  10. rikdev50s

rikdev50s Medium Load Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Greer, SC
    I do this too. I'm not sure they still have a clue.. probly just think we are a--holes. But it is a good way to relive road rage...

heavyweight Thanks this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    No it is not a good way to do anything but blind another driver. Dont be the ###*##*. Grow up, you are suppose to be a professional driver that has some kind of a professional attitude. The best thing to do when a 4 wheeler cuts you off , most of the time is nothing usally it makes no difference most are headed for the next lane anyway. If you as a professional driver have a safe following distance (which most do not 18 or 4 wheeler) it just will not make any difference. You will find cutting them some slack will improve your day and attitude. Get over it you are not something special you are just another vehicle on the road. Most of the time drivers are having problems is from bad planning on the part of the driver. Then compaling that the mean 4 wheeler wont let them over or are cutting them off. Pay attention, plan your trips, know where you need to be and be there early instead of rushing to someplace, and not knowing where you need to be while blaming someone else for your problems. Cut the 4 wheelers some slack and get over it.

andy622000, tinytim and AZSunshine Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.