Used equipment prices

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Sep 24, 2021.

1. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Hit that nail dead on

Last Call, shooter19802003 and Vampire Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jason6541

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    The $$ is so devalued it going to get much worse I am afraid.

Last Call and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    The last year and a half has just been icing on the cake after a miserable couple of years before that. Yeah, I can afford not to run. My truck is also getting to the point where things are going to start going wrong, so I don't really want to deal with that. Been having some health issues as well and sitting in this box every day doesn't help matters. I need to lose some weight and concentrate on taking care of my parents. I've been ready to retire for a year. It's time to pull the trigger.

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Equally, DEFLATION never seems to happen, the governmental structures and economists have declared it shall not happen, cannot happen, fed reserve and govt have always tried to hit 2% inflation since getting off the gold standard.

I dont disagree that wild fluctuations are bad for any economy, i just dont know that i trust a governmental system that

A. Always seems to have a yearly report that says they hit their target
    And
    B. If they miss the target and end up 125% higher than their target, they handwave away that, "well the goal is REALLY just to keep it from going "too high"" while never defining that or justifying the mandate for the 2% growth.

6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Thing is, the time to buy new on finance was about 2 years ago. All the benefits of higher hauling rates now coupled with relatively low cost of purchase (not historically perhaps, but, not an insane price either)

And if you financed it on a fixed rate, you have more cash wether its worth more or not, with which to pay your note

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  7. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    :biggrin_255: Exactly!

"Paper is poverty. It is only the ghost of money, and not money itself.” — Thomas Jefferson

Y’all would enjoy this thread:
    https://www.thetruckersreport.com/t...stroy-liberty-property-and-economies.2347770/

shooter19802003 and jason6541 Thank this.
  8. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Agreed 100% something our grandparents knew well. If you have ever been to Pakistan or India and seen what those folks can do with very little......its amazing.

Speed_Drums and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. jason6541

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yes, we are a consumer driven economy, planned obsolescence. If we all started living on less and not have to be brain washed that the next new gadget is the greatest. I type this on a 5 year old phone
    That still works great.
    I try to make everything last then rebuild or try to replace components that are better than the last.
    Wife and I have old cars that work just
    As good as a new one. No payments.
    Can’t afford to keep up buying everything that looks shiny snd new.

10. shooter19802003

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    The government uses the carrot and stick approach. It incentivizes the outcome. When you pay folks not to work....guess what.....they don't. I was on unemployment last year when I got laid off from the oilfield. I sat on it for 5 months because they promised me it was coming back and to hold out. So I did and held off on buying another truck. I made $1050 a week on unemployment. That's pretty darn good when you have almost no bills and I'd your they guy making min wage.....thats more than you make in a month. So why work? You can surive a long time on handouts when all your bills are paid. $1k week + rent paid for + food stamps. You make out pretty good. So yes my nieve friend, govt has alot to do with it. More than your average idiot realizes. not to mention all of the other unintended consequences. Like inflation, the goat has been ramping up spending for a very long time. Nothing new there. Now that they don't have the work force to offset that....you get inflation. That's how pyramid schemes work.

just_sayin and jason6541 Thank this.
  11. shooter19802003

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    The "infrastructure " bill, is less than half infrastructure! So, mostly other crap.

Eldiablo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.