USF Reddaway Hiring Frenzy

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by EatYourVeggies, Mar 28, 2017.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Read and heed what he just said. ODFL and UPSF are the two top companies. They are companies people usually retire from... Not companies most of us use as stepping stones to move up.

If you can lock a job on either one... Pounce on it.

X-Country and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    True. Just follow the rules. I'd be immediately fired for the same reason, and I wouldn’t trade my job for any other.

All the OD drivers I've met are very happy, which is more than can be said for a lot of these companies. They seem to have a positive culture there in general.

X-Country Thanks this.
  4. X-Country

X-Country Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2014
    $0.48 cpm to start? No way I'd come in for that.. I'm already making $0.44 at FXG with Sun/Mon off, 5 days on, day route, home every night.

From what I'm hearing from other drivers, the other LTL's here in Denver are starting around $0.55 cpm.

I don't doubt this story at all. One of my very good friends works at OD here in Denver. Been there a few years. OD will fire you if you get caught using your phone (texting, facebook, twitter, whatever) without a headset. Doesn't matter how they catch you. Civilian complaint w/ verifiying photo, another driver, being followed and caught in the act, given a ticket by DOT/Highway Patrol or other Law Enforcement. They won't just fire you if there's a verbal call-in but nothing to corroborate it. They have to have proof.

OD is like the top of the food chain with UPS in terms of Linehaul/LTL companies. They are among the best of the best, they only hire the best of the best and they expect the best in return.

They are among the top paying as well. Drivers are lined up here in Denver to get in there. It's not very often they hire for Linehaul and allow the drivers to bypass the docks and doing P&D work, but every now and then they open it up. Right now I think they're hiring 5 Linehaul Drivers per my friend.

Anyhow, it's bascially like working for a Union, but without the dues. You have the representation, drivers are extremely happy there, well-compensated and from what I hear, it's harder than crap to get fired unless you do something really dumb...i.e. get caught using your handset (talking on bluetooth is fine), sexual harrassment or some other major boo boo or no-no, because they simply don't put up with it. Too many people want to work there.

If you have a chance to get on with OD, do it. The benefits are top notch, pay scale, vacation time, sick time, etc. Everyone is very happy there and those that do work there, do all they can to hold on to their jobs.

I'd work there, but I have one preventable from Werner holding me back that doesn't expire until December of this year, because OD doesn't usually hire people with accidents. Reason being, they have so many qualified drivers lining up to get in the door, they can look the other way when a driver with a single preventable applies (glad I never applied either, lol). Maybe in January if I'm somehow still at FXG (which I pray I'm not). I'd LOVE to work there.

bentstrider83 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  5. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    The guy I talked to sounded interested in the resume I emailed to the Old Dominion Denver location. I wonder what kind of damage too many jobs in 10 years and a 10-year rollover accident will look like to them? I'll just make that call to them tomorrow and see what's up.
    Reddaway seems like an all right company to me should I get on over there. If the Denver area means getting some experience in and then making an inter-company transfer back down to Phoenix or some place like that, then cool.

6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Rollover is the Cardinal sin of any trucking job. But if it happened ten years ago, and you have a reasonable clean driving record (no DUI, no more than 5 violations in the last three years...Yada yada) you should be in a good spot. We had a company driver roll a set of triples. He never got fired. Not trying to give you false hope, but the odds for Reddaway are not unreasonably out of your favor

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    We've hired a guy who flipped his back box on a set of triples at OD. He fell asleep then jerked it flipped his back box. We hired him right away. We can do that cause we're self insured.

Big Don and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  8. EatYourVeggies

EatYourVeggies Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2016
    If YRC is union and USF is part of YRC, does this mean driver-facing cameras will most likely not happen?

Obviously, no one can predict the future but what do the current USF drivers think?

9. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I've been driving steadily for the past, six years with nothing like that. Apart from some non-accident/non-FMCSA related firings, I don't see anything else holding me down/back.

10. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Most insurance companies only care about the last 3 years for accidents, good luck

X-Country Thanks this.
  11. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Seems to be an overall, hiring frenzy for the entire, 303 area code!! I've decided against moving up there for the work. But I still get called for some apps that got forwarded to various spots in Commerce City, Aurora,. etc
    High pay, coupled with that unjustified, cost-of-living. Workers competing with bozos that moved/moving there for the, HA!, scenery.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.