Using reef diesel for generator, water heater and other off road use?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by 5th-wheel, Jan 22, 2019.

1. 5th-wheel

5th-wheel Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Is there problem using reefer diesel for other diesel equipment if I have separate auxiliary tank?
    When filling-up, do I need some code like PUC code or something?
    Is there limit on how many gallons I can fill-up?
    Is it lower viscosity then #2 diesel?
    It's cheaper because it does not have state tax or federal tax or both? Or you have to get tax back on taxes or something?
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Contact your company, they have a specific fueling policy. If they tell you to fuel motor fuel into the normal big fuel tanks for trucking and then reefer fuel for both Reefer and APU then all is well.

Im not certain because I think there is a chance the APU is already plumbed into the tractor fuel anyway. I don't know enough about it.

I have always used tractor fuel for what it's meant for (Purchasing, taxes etc) and divided the reefer fuel for just the trailer. That does not mean I won't "Poach" the trailer fuel or feed it from tractor if I had to. There is no accounting for that nor you want to.

APU is non motor fuel, it goes to reason that if it has it's own seperate fuel supply tank, you feed it with the reefer fuel at the pump once you have the fuel desk switch you over from tractor fueling to reefer side. This would go for them (To make it easier) even if you did not have a reefer.

APU's did not exist in my time, they were once considred too fancy, expensive parasite via weights against what you could put into the trailer etc. And there was no corporate support for having that type of technology in my time. You simply idled 24/7.

5th-wheel Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'll assume a truck stop can turn on a "reefer pump" for you (assuming you don't have a typical trucker credit system card that might be configured to authorize reefer fuel) So in my estimation it will be up to the truck stop.

However, with trucker card systems, tax is still added at the pump but removed later in the transaction final process on reefer gallons. I'm not sure if they can or will remove tax for retail customers, under any circumstances because they may not be able to.

I see no problem with road-tax-free fuel for [separate] auxiliary engine system tanks, but it may not be an easy, straightforward process at a typical truck stop. At truck stops, it's all the same fuel from the same tank. It's all [tax matters] handled in the computer billing system after the fact.

5th-wheel Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The truck stop must charge you tax on any fuel that is not dyed. There is a way to apply for the tax back. You can burn whatever you want in your reefer or other off road engines. The reefer fuel is exactly the same as the truck fuel as far as getting it from the truck stop goes. If you have a diesel apu and want to somehow burn fuel from the reefer tank.... that would be the easiest way to do it, tax wise. Any fuel used in off road application is not subject to the tax. Get it however you want.

5th-wheel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.