USS Frank E. Evans DD-754

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, May 22, 2017.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The Pentagon on Sunday refused a request to add the names of 74 U.S. sailors who died in a 1969 ship collision to the Vietnam Memorial in Washington.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Survivors and relatives of those killed have been pushing the Defense Department for years to add the 74 names to the wall because the ship had supported ground operations in Vietnam just weeks earlier and would have been sent back to the war zone after the exercise.
    But Pentagon officials in a decision this month stuck to their position that the USS Frank E. Evans victims are precluded from being added to the wall because the accident occurred outside the Vietnam combat zone. The ship turned into the path of an Australian aircraft carrier and was split in half.
    Instead of granting an exemption to the war zone rule, the Pentagon has offered to pay tribute to the fallen sailors by listing their names on a memorial plaque to be placed inside the education center to be built near the wall. But with less than half of the $130 million cost of the center raised so far, the offer is being dismissed by some Evans survivors.
    It was a decision that angered retired Navy Master Chief Lawrence Reilly Sr., an Evans survivor whose 20-year-old son, also named Lawrence, was among those killed.
    "I'm not happy with the whole thing," the 92-year-old WWII and Vietnam veteran said from his Syracuse home. "It's a bad deal."
    The Pentagon's latest rejection came after the Evans survivors pinned their hopes on Navy records that the group said showed the ship had been awarded a Vietnam Service Medal for June 2, 1969, a day before the accident. The medal was only given to ships and sailors who served in the Vietnam combat zone. But the Navy's review of its records last fall determined there was no documentation to support such a claim.
    The Evans sailors "do not meet the established criteria for the inscription of their names on the wall," Navy Lt. Cmdr. Courtney Hillson, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said. "The deputy secretary of defense extensively reviewed information and records to make an informed decision."
    The Evans veterans say the Pentagon has previously granted exceptions to the eligibility criteria for adding names to the memorial, including for dozens of Marines who were killed when the plane carrying them back to Vietnam from leave in Hong Kong crashed during takeoff.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    [​IMG]
    Some of the crew.
    [​IMG]

I was on another ship when it happened. Later in Philippines the rear half of the ship had been towed there and was tied to a pier. Surreal to look at it. Later it was towed out to sea and sunk.

It wasn't the Aussie Navy's fault, even though the US Navy tried to place blame or even share blame with them. Under the rules of navigation, the Aussies did nothing wrong.

mjd4277, DoneYourWay and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. powerstroke67

powerstroke67 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    @Chinatown This is sad.. Thank you for your service sir! I served in the Navy 1981-1991 NAS Lemoore CA, USS Ranger CV-61, USS Constellation CV-64, NAS Agana Guam..

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    Thank you for your service China, that's disgraceful and I would look forward to seeing the names of my fellow brothers on the wall

mjd4277, Chinatown and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    High school class mate and close friend of mine served on the Ranger in Vietnam. He went home on Christmas leave and was killed in a car wreck. He was a "snipe" Fireman in one of the firerooms.
    The Navy was OK back then, as you know. Really laid back.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.