VA disability and getting a trucking job...

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Nerdybiker, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Nerdybiker

Nerdybiker Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if trucking companies can dig up any info on being rated in the VA disability system.

I don't know if I should do a VA physical and get paid for some old injuries (none that bother me now, but valid enough for payment).

Will any trucking company be able to find this in a database and discriminate against me?

Am I better off just forgetting about the VA physical? I know you can drive with VA disability ratings, but I'm sure the pre-hire paperwork allows for discrimination if it comes up in a database somewhere.

Vets, what is your take on this type of disclosure during the pre-hire phase?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Get the VA stuff done. I am at 50% comp/dis.

My personal opinion is if I can do a job totally fine with the problems I have then I should be hired. If they discriminate against me for being at 50% then I would rather not work for them and I will bad mouth them for that till the day I die.

The stuff in the VA database is only in the VA database and your money you get for your compensation is a second income in which the company you are working for has no right needing to know about this. I talked with my mother about this. She is a para legal and deals with this stuff a lot.

puncher Thanks this.
  4. Nerdybiker

Nerdybiker Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    So I guess the real question is, can they find out if an applicant fails to disclose their VA disability ratings? (kinda like joining the military and being told by the recruiter to keep your mouth shut at all costs).

The DOT physical is something I can pass with flying colors because I'm not being treated for anything, but if I get rated and do not disclose it, I don't want to have a black mark on my trucking hiring record that follows me around.

Opinions anyone? Is it true that the trucking industry has no access to the VA databases?

5. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    I'm rated at 20% from the VA. come to think about it, i dont remember if i mentioned it at time of Hire but i probably did. if i were you i would mention it. only a fool would disqualify a disabled vet from a job.

Freebird135 Thanks this.
  6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I'm rated 100%.

It has never affected my driving job !!!!

As long as you can pass the physical, you're good to go.

No reason to tell them squat......

jsnell and puncher Thank this.
  7. puncher

puncher Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Tn.
    I agree with 123456, I draw 60% service connected, and still pass the physical and that is all the info I think they need. Good luck

123456 Thanks this.
  8. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Can't beat that tax free check !!!!!

9. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I am 20% and have no problem. As long as you can pass the DOT physical and what ever work ready test they may have you are good to go.

10. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Yeah thats how I see it. It is none of there business. If the VA leaks something to them then that is a breech of patient doctor confidentiality. Probably something the VA would not want to worry about

11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    The VA database does share info !!!!!!!

But Only with social security as far as I know..............

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.