VA examiners will be able to conduct DOT physicals

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by kemosabi49, Jun 8, 2018.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There was a thread the other day where a guy was asking about this. I saw this on OOIDA today.

More VA examiners will be able to conduct DOT physicals for military veterans
    By Mark Schremmer, Land Line associate editor | Friday, June 08, 2018

A final rule that aims to make it easier for military veterans to receive commercial driver’s licenses is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register on June 11.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration filed the final rule to the inspection docket on Friday, June 8.

As part of the final rule, health professionals employed by the Department of Veteran Affairs will be allowed to be listed on the agency’s National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. The final rule was prompted by the Jobs for Our Heroes Act, which was signed into law by President Donald Trump in January.

Amending current regulations prompted by FAST Act, an alternative process will be established for qualified advanced practice nurses, doctors of chiropractic, doctors of medicine, doctors of osteopathy, physician assistants, and other medical professionals who are employed in the VA to be listed on the registry.

“Under today’s final rule, after successfully completing training and passing a test, both of which will be provided by FMCSA and delivered through a Web-based training system operated by the VA, these qualified VA examiners become certified VA medical examiners,” the final rule stated. “Certified VA medical examiners are only allowed to conduct medical examinations of, and issue medical examiner certificates to, veteran operators only.”

The Jobs for Our Heroes Act expanded eligibility to use the alternative process to “qualified examiner.” The FAST Act originally provided an alternative process for a “qualified physician.” The amendment allows additional VA health care professionals to apply to be on the registry and conduct Department of Transportation physicals for veterans.

The final rule will go in to effect 60 days after the date it is published in the Federal Register.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Problem as I see it , v.a. doctor is able to access my military as well as post military medical records. That is a big problem for some veterans.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It sounds like a good thing but then on the other hand as Jackhole said, this may be a problem for vets.

BUT then it begs the question - what stopped them before, all they had to do is go through the training to be a qualified examiner and they were.

It also makes me wonder why in the hell do we even have physicians become qualified examiners in the first place, they had to be trained as doctors in the first place.

5. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    well if you have a special problem you don't have to go to the va ..... and I think it is a good idea and easier to use your regular dr. at the va for me anyway

6. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    lol this seems like a horrible idea. theyre expecting my claims to take a year to process, despite filing months before i got out. i dont trust any military/va dr. at all

7. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    lol I never trusted the navy Dr's at all never wanted to have anything to do with the va .... until about 6 yrs ago now I like it a lot ...... still a little suspect of somethings but overall good

Matt43324 and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  8. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    Is the VA trying to sell sleep studies and CPAPS’s now?

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  9. Maj. Jackhole

Mar 19, 2017
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease at the v.a. be vocal don't settle for the generic responses and most importantly stay involved and knowledgable regarding your care. That is how I deal with my doctor, I always am very respectful and am treated likewise in return.

10. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I went to sick call 5 years ago for a huge lump an severe groin pains which I was pretty confident in it being a hernia considering I had the exact same thing 12 years prior...PA told me I pulled a groin muscle, tried giving me a prescription to 800mg Motrin or something like that. I walked out and went to the ER, 25 mins later I was scheduled for surgery the following day at 0600. After the ER visit I limped my happy ### to the patient advocate and filed a report on my PA. I saw him a few weeks later and he was pissed at me so I'm guessing he got his ### chewed big time. Oh well, didn't hurt my feelings. That pa had so many complaints, reports and congressional inquiries. Still to this day I wonder if he's "practicing" medicine

11. Maj. Jackhole

Mar 19, 2017
    Motrin the miracle heal all given out like candy. Lol

91B20H8 and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.