Vac truck training courses, worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Oldpete2112, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Oldpete2112

Oldpete2112 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Victoria, BC
    Well, turns out it was easier than I thought.

Sent out about 15 resumes, had about 9 phone calls back 6 of which were very serious offers.

Took one that I had a good feeling about, and now been out in the patch for a few weeks hauling crude.

Not such a bad job, people I work with are great and it is very steady work.

Sure different from hauling oversize, flat deck or reefer. No pilot cars, tarps, straps or reefers. No rude shippers or receivers, show up when you want, load up and deliver when you can.

I like it.

OP

Speedloader Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Congratulations. Good luck. Where did you end up?

4. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Congrats, welcome to the patch!

Oldpete2112 Thanks this.
  5. Basic

Basic Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Albertuh
    I didn't need training when I worked as a vac truck operator. I trained with a guy for a week or so, then was put with a swamper that was experienced. That said, that sounds like it would be useful, because of the types of situations vac trucking throws at you. I like the concept, but I definitely don't like the price tag... $1600 3 days wtf really?

Edit: I just read the first page. Congrats! And dont be fooled by the wages they are offering its a tough job and you always deserve more. 27 may sound good when you come from the island but here thats peanuts. You can get a job job carrying hoses for an hour, staying at camp for a week and carrying hose again for an hour when you leave at 25 bucks an hour and overtime(82 hours) and I know people with that job. They cry when they have to work for an hour - disturbs them when they are watching their portable dvd players and stuff, and they are kinda stiff when they haven't moved in a week.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  6. Oldpete2112

Oldpete2112 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Victoria, BC
    Yup, sure is a different world here......lol Will wait and see what the paycheque looks like, but seems like if you keep working steady then it can be pretty good. The guy that trained me for two days has been with this company 6 years and still likes it.

Two weeks in and I still really enjoy it. The work is easy, well of course it is summer now, and the job is laid out for you. Pick up here, deliver there, do it again. Text dispatch with what is left in the tank and then carry on. Crank up the tunes, drive down the road and do your job. Simple.

Funny thing is that our camp is not catered so you do your own cooking. Ok by me as I am picky in that I do not eat prepared foods.

Funny how some guys figure opening a can constitutes cooking dinner, and they have no idea of how to clean their own dishes when done. I guess that explains a lot about why some of the guys look like they do. We are only about 25km from several grocery stores and other major stores, so no reason to do without anything, so I always pack a lunch so I don't have to stop, or pay stupid high prices for a sub or something on the road. Grocery prices here (GP and PR area) are about the same as home, just no good seafood as the salmon is Atlantic Salmon.....lol

Good thing we have house keeping, can't imagine what the place would smell like if we did not....:biggrin_25511:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.