ved12 cranks but does not starts

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bizzzzzz1, Jan 12, 2014.

1. bizzzzzz1

bizzzzzz1 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Ok fuse from the batteries is fine. Anything else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bravoo67

bravoo67 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Brooklyn NY
    do you get any error codes on dash?? it happened to me once when there was message saying.. no connection with ecu or something like that.. opened the hood and problem went away on its own.. never happend again

4. bizzzzzz1

Jan 1, 2013
    yesterday morning without doing anything, turned the key, and started. Very strange.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. nick13

nick13 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2013
    My Volvo 05 with ved 12 not starting on the cold weather, i put lot of starting fluid and still not starting , looks like it will start but its not , than i use my hair dryer , i blow hot air from my hair dryer to the airfilter and same time i spray quick start and it start fine. i inspect the heater and on the bottom of the heater there is two black wire attached , one of them is broken. replace them and my problem is gone. thanks if you have any question feel free to contact me at 905 872 0123 thanks nick.

6. bizzzzzz1

Jan 1, 2013
    You were right, one ground wire was bad, had to replace it on the road since it was cutting off the engine.

KB3MMX and baha Thank this.
  7. aron12

aron12 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Centralia , il
    i have the same issue , 1996 volvo d12 cranks but i cant get it to start , starts right up on either. i've not got it resolved as of yet .

8. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I had this happen once when I had all the batteries changed out on my 780... turns out the mechanic had hooked up all but one of the wires to the batteries except for the one to the engine computer (turns out it was small and a bit hard to see). Another mechanic schooled him after he spent half an hour trying to start the truck and after that it started just fine. Good luck, Jim

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Nix11

Nix11 Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Was it the battery ground wire?

10. newdriver2

newdriver2 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Here we are 5 years later. This is a great thread. I'm having the exact same issue. Cold weather hit last week...-5 with -20 wind-chill I left the truck off the whole week but had it plugged in and the battery charger on...

it turns over and will not start. Sprayed ether and she fires up for a few seconds. Fuel isn't geled in the tanks, I pumped the manual primer button under hood driver side and it sounded like air in the line.

I'm going to replace filters, and check the other things described, I did clean up the batteries so I have to recheck the connections as it sounds like theres a wire that may be going to to the fuel?

If anyone has additional info chime in. She ran great before I parked her last week no issues no codes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.