Vehicle Transport to Staten Island

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Btclt, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Btclt

Btclt Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2019
    We have a 53”ft low pro car trailer and single axle sleeper. Headed to Staten Island via I-95 to 278.

Will we have any issues with tight roads once we get to Staten Island?
    What hours should we avoid using 278?
    Other helpful tips and info?

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Staten Island is a cake walk. As long as your not mindlessly driving around block after block. Post the address for us and someone will be able to guide you down the right path.

Btclt Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Avoid the morning and evening Rush Hour. The whole New York New Jersey area is massive congestion. I myself would try to be wherever you have to be by 6 a.m. You could arrive midday but there is still plenty of traffic and if you have to leave out at rush hour it's really congested. Arriving early morning and leaving midday is much better.

Btclt and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  5. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    5am would be better. I don't know what the Goethals bridge(278) looks like anymore, I always take the Outerbridge(287 to 440) but the lanes used to be narrow. I usually get in the middle and take up both lanes, but that's just me. Definitely preplan your trip and like the other hand said, it's a cakewalk.

Btclt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Both bridges were rebuilt recently and are plenty wide.

Bigger problem is where your going in Staten Island, some neighborhoods can be tight.

Look up the NYC CMV map. Give all the routes. And unlike the other bouroghs there's no elevated rail. Only thing I'm thinking might be spots where the road is so uneven you can bottom out. I once had a delivery somewhere in the NE corner of the island, and I had no trouble getting in, but on the way out I made a wrong turn and ended up somewhere I shouldn't have been and it was a little tight for comfort, but I seem to recall there was a steep transition from one street to the next and if I'd had something low I might have bottomed out. Also the swampy roads on the west side have monster potholes.

Good luck though, it's not as horrible as people say.

Btclt and Tombstone69 Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive been away too long, but I agree with the 5 am or even earlier. During the day you have the entire Jersey wanting to go somewhere and 10 million in NYC wanting to move and it's a royal mess. Forget the rush hours.

Crossing the island is easy on the expressway There is nothing there for me in a reefer food truck. So it's Verazzano one way or the Gothels or outerbridge the other. I switched to the GWB because most of the food was going to Hunts Point by then if it was not going into the New England States. Eventually I stopped having loads to long island generally and no need to use Staten Island to get across. Just as well the traffic situation on the Jersey side was a bit of a battle by then.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  8. Btclt

Btclt Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2019
    The address is on South Ave, Staten Island, NY.

We read that trucks were not allowed on 440 (Korean Vets Pkwy). Is that better than 278 if we shoot for arriving by 5/6am?

9. Btclt

Btclt Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Thanks your responses. Helps a bunch.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  10. Infosaur

Doesn't matter, you're not allowed.

Btclt Thanks this.
  11. Infosaur

Oh, I should clarify. 440 is NOT Korean Vet's parkway.

They both cross the Outterbridge but right after the toll they split. All trucks go to 440 (you're allowed) but if you go straight you go on Korean Vets and that's verboten.

Btclt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.