Verifiable Experience

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by BuilderBob, Oct 22, 2009.

1. BuilderBob

BuilderBob Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Millbury, Ohio
    I have a nephew that has been driving semi's all his life. He had a CDL from Ohio back in the day and never renewed it. He has worked for construction companies the past 20 years hauling their equipment around on lowboys and flats. He decided to get his CDL class "A" this year in February and went to a training school. He wants to apply for OTR or regional and is asking me how they verify experience. Anyone know what the protocol is on verifing experience?
    Back in the day you just put down references and they called........

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Basicly he has none.

4. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    You have a list of ALL the people you worked for in the last 10 years and write it on an application. Phone numbers are needed. You also need the dates and dates of any unemployment too. Sorry if this sounds a little snide but well that's what you have to do?

If you don't have the names addresses and phone information then you need to pull out your tax returns for the past 10 years as you will find most of the information on them also.

If not then good luck as the rules state last 10 years of employment unless you are under the age of 26 as you wouldn't have 10 years unless you did have a job at 16.

5. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Yeah, but if he has no recent in the last 6 months it is the same as having none.

6. Donnerpasser

Donnerpasser Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Woodland, Ca
    Most companies want recent experience. Something in the last 3-5 yrs. If he hasn't driven in the last 3-5 they will consider him a rookie/student.

7. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    When was the last time you checked on that?

8. Donnerpasser

Donnerpasser Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Woodland, Ca
    About 2 months ago. They (big companies) want recent experience or they will send you with a trainer for a refresher.

9. southernpride

southernpride Gone But Never Forgotten

Apr 5, 2009
    orlando,fl
    now legally the best way to get you cdl is go take the written test and the driving test since he has already driven and has some experience that should not be a problem he does not have to go to a truck driving school.

however that alone will not get him a job. most company's want 3 years verifiable experience today. why? because their are to many drivers out of work wright now they can sit back and pick and choose not to mention insurance company involvement.

its amazing to me how all these nit picking rules disappear when the suddenly find their are no one to drive there truck, then there not so picky the cdl becomes just fine.

but in these times it continues to be a problem unless you go to work for an owner operator.

good luck to you . southernpride

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.