Very Little Negotiations

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by DSK333, Jul 26, 2018.

1. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Not a lot we can do to stop them fron doing it, except calling them on it. One of my customers uses me exclusively - I've seen Landstar repost those loads, too, and then try to call me to get the load. It's deeply irritating.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Do you have a non compete contract with them? Like if they work directly with you customer you get 15%?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Yep, we have a non-compete. We also have a "no double brokering" clause. I've had to beat them about the head a couple of times with that. It's a matter of scale, though, seems like. You raise hell with one office doing it, two more pop up to take that guy's place.

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Landstar gets away with what it gets away with because of its sheer size and scale. Truthfully the big legal reason why brokers hate double brokering is the risk that the guy you paid to haul the load won't actually pay the guy who hauled it and you'll find yourself fighting his attempt to collect on a load you already paid for.

Landstar at least is going to pay what they agreed to pay to the carrier... Which means it's not as bad as double brokering theoretically could be. My big issue with Landstar double brokering is that they are comically promiscuous about carrier selection... And I'm kind of the opposite.

I honestly feel like any broker that gives Landstar loads is flagging themselves for PVP and has whatever happens next coming.You're paying a major competitor to do your job for you... what could go wrong?

IH Truck Guy, p608 and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    They're essentially stealing from you at that point.

7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    They're essentially stealing from you at that point.

8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Sorta. I'd have to look at the contract verbiage.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Not really.

Landstar is basically taking a slice off the rate.

Keep in mind, landstar may have a wider pool of signed on carriers than a small broker. Case in point: my first go to broker is CHR. why? They give me zero hassles, and I qualified as a "key carrier". Going thru carrier setup, paperwork while driving is not possible, so a simple peek at the CHR loadboard gets me reloaded quicker.

I suspect that's the reason Landstar appears to "double-broker"

DSK333 Thanks this.
  10. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I understand. What I meant is that if LS gets that load covered before PPDCT does then they have effectively taken money from his pocket. It's all perspective I guess. I'm set up with CHR and they never seem to have anything good.

11. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    If LS gets the load covered, PPDCT still gets his cut.

The loser is the Carrier.

PPDCT posts the load for $3/mile, LS approved carrier gets it at $2/mile, thru LS system, then LS keeps $1/mile.

As I like to say, "convenience costs money".

We don't know what other "perks" PPDCT offers/lacks compared to LS.

I booked loads with smaller brokers that required me to print/sign/fax carrier packet + my MC cert etc, while in middle of IOWA!!!!, luckily I have a mobile office, so 30 mins on the shoulder took care of that.

Imagine same scenario, with an e-log driver, no mobile office, but already plugged into LS.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.