Very odd MPG from one of my drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Feb 24, 2017.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    i own several trucks (car haulers) and have questions to owner operators or experienced drivers .
    i noticed very odd mpg on all the trucks one driver drove . i have 5 trucks (he drove 3 of them and always have significant difference with other drivers) . he seems very experienced in the field we are working but mpg just killing my profit .
    here is the example :
    i have one particular truck running chicago il to houston tx (through dallas) , one driver drove this truck since september till february and his fuel spendings always been around $1800 for around 2500 miles , another driver drove 1 trip in this direction and did extra miles going to san antonio and still within 1800 range. the driver i am questioning took this truck for the first time and drove little bit over 2500 miles and fuel spending over $2400. all drivers drive 70 (per them)
    same driver drove chicago to nj route 3 times and overspent $400 per trip compared to $1100 average (around 2000 miles).
    this seem very odd to me and i don't want announce my thoughts about it .
    truck is 2000 pete , c15 , 13 speed , high rail , all the maintainance is up to day , daily working truck
    this is not show truck and not truck that falls apart on the road , just a working dog .
    i appreciate honest thoughts and answers what might be happening

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    Is he taking it out of 1st gear?

4. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Sounds fishy to me. Take a trip with him. I would. If he complains and gets defensive...well.

rabbiporkchop and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Trying to figure this out by how much your drivers are spending on any given trip is not going to give you a good sense of what is happening with any given truck. You need to do actual fuel mileage numbers to see whats going on. I would guess there is a problem somewhere, but without hard fuel mileage numbers its hard to tell.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    i got your point but :
    drivers get fueled pretty much same place
    1st driver fuels up after 721 miles , 2nd - 497 :) for the same amount ... we are talking highway driving only on cruise control :)

7. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Plug in and check computer. May not be totally accurate but will let you lf the fuel is going through the motor or somewhere else.

Bean Jr., ExOTR, Ruthless and 3 others Thank this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    i did , checked out good

9. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Second this . First question on that big of a spread , is some one stealing your fuel/ selling your fuel? You need hard mileage numbers , also . But is one of your trucks really getting basically 2 MPG ?

10. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Is it possible that he is selling your fuel to other drivers?

11. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Wouldn't be the first time that one driver get far worse mileage than the others. If the truck is new enough to get a good breakdown from the computer you might find he's driving it like an old Detroit. Go for a run with him.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.