Vibration after brake job

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Juve1985, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Juve1985

Juve1985 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Hello

So I changed brake shoes on the steer axle, I reused the same drums as they looked good, 380k on them, came from factory with truck. I noticed vibration mostly when I start braking and than let of brake and than let the truck roll, the vibration comes in the steering wheel than after couple seconds I feel it in the floor, mostly when I bobtail around 35-40mph but I feel it kind of all the time. I am not looking to spend money chasing truck vibration as I can deal with it for now and that can get expensive, so please can anyone help out and tell me if the brake drums can make this vibration as I would be willing to change those drums if they might be the issue
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    They sure can. I even had vibration from one new drum (other three were good)

4. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Every time I have a vibration in the front end it always comes down to a tire even if it looks good

5. Juve1985

Nov 12, 2014
    I am confused if it makes sense for drums to start vibration even though they were already on the truck before I put new shoes

6. Juve1985

Nov 12, 2014
    I have new Michelin tires with about 2k miles on them, they were balanced when installed and just yesterday balanced again

7. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I have changed steer tires on a truck and cause the steer axle drums to start vibrating under vibration. You could also have bolted your steer tires back on uneven.

So the way to tell, if you only feel the wobble/vibration during a brake application, then it’s the drums, if it’s all the time then your tires are bolted up out of round.

If your going to try to re-use steer axle brake drums, Mark the orientation of the drum to the hub before you break them loose and remount them the same way.

Anytime we bolt up steer tires, we always use a stud centering device. This will minimize the steer tire hop.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It may go away, after new shoes wear in a bit. Maybe even adjust all the brakes. Maybe fronts are grabbing first, or a softer grabby shoe, or a harder shoe. Either way a softer show may wear in, Harder shoe will wear drum in also. I’ve noticed that on my Trailers especially, when re using drums.Takes a little while for shoes to wear evenly into drum, and wear drum in also. I think it’s due to the shoes being thicker in the middle, than the edges, combined with used drums, also worn/warped a bit. I just did brakes on trailer. Theyre pulsating a little, But will go away.A couple of the Old shoes were sticking out beyond drum, as if spiders were bent. New shoes, supposedly same part # are all flush. Look perfect. I can’t explain it, maybe due to drum wear? Thin shoes? It almost looked like 2 sets of the old ones were wider, Either way, new shoes on my trailer will wear in and match up to old drums, soon. The Pulsating will go away.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You may want to check king pins, shocks, spring hangers, wheel end bearing play or anything else, on the front end,just for safety’s sake, maybe old shoes were masking the problem.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Most of the time when this happens right after a brake job is because something is slightly off center causing an out of round rotating assembly. This is trial and error if you can't spin balance the wheel, but you can remove your wheel, then remove your drum, turn your hub 180 degrees and reinstall the drum and wheel to change the mounting orientation with those parts and hopefully get lucky with a good balance.

spsauerland and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Get cheap on your trailer not on your steers/drives, Steers do drums/rotors Shoes/Pads same on your drives get cheap on the trailers

Heavyd and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.