Vibration in the 60s when NOT accelerating

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by PJM41, Jul 1, 2021.

1. PJM41

PJM41 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I have a vibration in the 60s on deceleration and coasting. Felt in both the wheel and floor/seat- 60% wheel 40% floor. Dash rattles. It smooths out under torque.
    Taking it to shop next week, any tips on what direction to look? Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    A low air ride level will cause vibration on deceleration. I’d check that first, then Carrier bearing , U joints, motor mounts/ trans mount.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Some 60s have a vibration to them. Never liked it but that is just the way they were. A loose pinion shaft can also do what you describe. You cannot see the one in the front differential until it is a apart. I would check everything else possible first.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. PJM41

PJM41 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2018
    thank you for the feedback. ride height was recently confirmed and some u joints replaced on drive shaft. I'll have them double check the carrier bearing. The vibration continues if the truck is put into neutral while coasting, so i do not think it is engine or trans related. any chance it could be in the wheel assembly?

6. PJM41

PJM41 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2018
    thank you. i actually just had the front dif taken apart to fix a leak and everything was good inside. u joint also replaced on drive shaft. do you think this could be in the wheel assemblies or perhaps in some front suspension components since it is felt in the wheel so much? i do know that my front shackles and bushings are worn. maybe kingpin bushings on the steers too?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.