Video series made by a trucker on youtube

Discussion in 'Trucker Videos' started by Wookie Dude, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Wookie Dude

Wookie Dude Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    I've been debating about entering the trucking industry for some time now, whether its really worth it to continue college for a degree that has very limited options upon completion (History).

Anyway, cutting to the point. I found a video series by a reefer trucker named Vince (youtube handle "Journey95"), and I must say that this guy explains a lot of what goes on while trucking as far as what the job entails, shows some of the sights that he sees on his days, etc. Really awesome series that he's created - 20 episodes so far, 1 of which is a visual tour of his truck.

Here's the link to his channel, and it's a must watch for anyone considering entering:
    Journey95's Tube Channel

Major thanks go to Vince for showing the world some of his duties and experiences as a driver!

scottied67 and simplyred1962 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Endzone

Endzone Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I think as long as you don't pay too much for the degree, it might be worth it. Teachng isn't a bad job if you are so inclined. Just remember student loan debt isn't currently dischargable in bankruptcy. That means there is no way out of it, so be careful. Don't go to an expensive private school. Is LSU expensive?

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  4. Wookie Dude

Wookie Dude Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    Teaching was the route that I originally was going to go, until I started doing student observations and noticed how much i hate teenagers. There is just no way that I could make a living off dealing with the stress of teaching other people's immature kids. Heh. I then decided to look into getting a graduates diploma and take a shot at teaching at a university level, but I just don't feel like committing another 4-6 years being poor. :D

To answer your question about LSU - they're the second most expensive school to attend in this state right behind Tulane.

Louisiana's universities are in a bit of a pickle right now - our governor keeps jacking up the prices of tuition and cutting funding for higher education. Since 2006 my tuition and fees for SLU (Southeastern Louisiana Univ) have gone from $1800 to $2900 per semester, and the legislature has just passed a bill this week that is going to allow individual schools to start charging what they want to charge so that the state government can make even deeper cuts to the education budget. One thing i hate about living in this state is that when there is a budget shortfall, education gets slashed first while this state has one of the worst education systems in the nation. I'm running out of money available through benefits and grants, so it's time to "poop or get off the pot".

Anyway, i'm rambling. I'm 29 years old now, just have a severe case of burnout. I did military before and was making a decent living, now I'm working a job that has no future ($8/hour) and going to school for a degree that doesn't have many options. Brother in law was trained by Schneider about 5 years ago and ran tankers for them until recently when he got a dedicated route with a local company. He's made a great living with it, has told me practically everything including how i'll make dirt checks for the first year or so. I'm fully prepared for it, I'm just trying to find a way in. I've put in apps with Swift, Werner wants me to go to a 20 week course about 45 miles away, and i've contacted other private trucking schools.

5. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    I watch his videos every time he comes out with a new one.He makes great videos about trucking and how it works.Seems to to be a very nice guy,but always wounder who his drives for????:biggrin_25511:Anyone know???

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I like those videos too, but I found them a little corny in spots. But all in all I think it's great editing he has done and the historical value will only go up with time.

Trucking as we know it today will be different tomorrow. We are not unlike the old cowboy before the turn of the last century; a dying breed about to become extinct due to economic forces, technology and just a general dislike of us by the powers that be for the behavior that some of us project in our habits, clothing and lifestyle.

Imagine if there were video footage of Billy the Kid or Geronimo or the old fur trapping mountain men of old.... people who were sort of reviled by the powers that be in there time, have come to represent the true American spirit today.

50 or 100 years from now Vince's videos will be a national treasure.

7. SUOrange

SUOrange Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2010
    His videos were a tool for myself as well trying to decide if trucking is something I want to do. I couldn't stop watching them, I watched all 20 or so in one go.

8. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    I love those vids! I am also hooked on hanks truck pictures website. I actually found two trucks that were mine!

9. BigPete379

BigPete379 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2010
    By the Sea CA
    i recently just watched all his vids, they are really great, tells his whole adventure and everything, i have also been thinking about a career change to trucking, he makes it look easy, but im sure he has his bad does just like everyone else.

10. Torque2Haul

Torque2Haul Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Central Cal
    In Vince's latest video (posted June 30th) on YouTube he indicates he is ending his video series. Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=journey95#p/u/0/1JEorgD-JOY

I've also enjoyed Vince's videos which gave some insight into the life of a trucker. Thanks Vince for your efforts in producing an excellent trucking video series!

11. spuddatruckdriver

spuddatruckdriver Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2011
    see allot of youtube truckers only really make videos for a few months then..... they fade away..... it is sorta sad.... I hope/plan on making weekly video's not just here n there....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.