(Video) WANTED: Higher Skilled Truck Drivers

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Runawayscreaming, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Runawayscreaming

Runawayscreaming Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    Today's truck drivers are a massive public safety hazard. I had to look twice to make sure this wasn't me who made this video about how to do something about the dangerous trucking industry:

fss99701, Oldironfan and pmcfee Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Dragon88

Dragon88 Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2014
    He lost me when he said "As a professional truck driver"

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  5. Runawayscreaming

Runawayscreaming Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    "Professional Truck Driver" was a (now disused) term from the olden days.

6. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    Is this guy serious... How would you know if your brakes are out of adjustment if you don't know your brake chamber size?? Sure on new brakes your not allowed to adjust them, but you need to be able to recognize when they are out of adjustment (mark and measure).. The only way to mark and measure is to know what size of chamber and if they are short or long stroke...

7. steve1428

steve1428 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2013

It has very little to do with skill, the problem is coming from a part of the world where life is cheap and arrogant attitudes are the norm. Where it is considered a valuable trait to be able to lie and deceive people. It's appalling that this has become some form of macabre entertainment in the form of TV shows like Highway to Hell and Heavy Rescue 401. Our Government forces this on us in their misguided efforts to help scumbag companies externalize their costs and risks onto the public with cheap trucking and careless irresponsible truck drivers. We have only ourselves to blame for not speaking out and trying to stop what's going on.

gokiddogo, Phantom Trucker and Jazz1 Thank this.
  8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Unfortunately authorities hands are tied. Police know the issue but they cannot speak freely without being judged racist or profiling. I've spoken to officers who have very low opinion of these "new drivers" Squat they can do.

Phantom Trucker Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    He makes some good points. I do disagree with it taking more than 25 hours behind the wheel to drive a truck. I was wheeling around town with a 48' flatdeck no problem with 20 hours in the seat. The driving/shifting/backing aspect is really not that hard. Its the stuff they don't teach. I learned nothing about trip planning, how to identify truck friendly routes, proper cargo securement or how to cross scales. You know, the rest of the stuff you needed to know besides the actual driving.

10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Certainly, it goes without saying that not all new drivers are poor quality. But as a rule, most are no different from any other young person going in to any profession. Most young people haven't been taught responsibility nor respect for others. When they go to work, its all about them, not about the work, standards, respect &/or most of all, responsibility. Its the social world that we live in, where people depend more on a social world & lifestyle to get them through life. In short, it doesn't matter if its common labor or a truck driver, most young people today haven't been taught nor understand the importance of responsibility nor respect. Therefore, when a young person today decides he wants to go to work, including driving a truck (or any other aspect of life), its all about him/her. Its all about paycheck day. I'll show up & you write me a check... "You call, we haul & that's all. All I want is that paycheck, whether I show up or not. Me being on your payroll is all that should matter to you".

Now, again, that certainly doesn't apply to all young people cause there are some who have good life values, but for the most part, today's young people ...... well, never mind.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    While I am at it, it aint always youngsters. More so than not, its all about the teachers whether its parents or truck driving (school) trainers. Companies now are no different from kids now, they want something for nothing. They want driver trainees to come to school for 2 weeks & expect them to know how to do what needs to be done. You cant train a greenhorn is 2 weeks or 10 weeks. You gotta train that guy until he knows it. Some learn faster than others. You cant get a driver if you dont teach him & if he dont have the desire to learn.

It aint always the new drivers fault. The companies are just as much to blame.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.