vintage freight shaker

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by starmac, Apr 14, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Any of you guys still make a living with an old school freight shaker?
    I bought an old 89 FLC on a lark a few years ago from an old friend that was retiring, it was set up with log gear but also had a hotshift pto set up for a side dump.

I really didn't plan on using it a whole lot, but had always wanted to run a log truck, so why not.
    The last few years my other truck, has been used less and less, pretty much to the point of not at all, especially if there is any logging going on.
    I did pull the wet kit off and install it on my other truck, so I don't have pull the log gear off of it, if I want to haul dirt, but mainly so I can use it with a hydraulic lowboy.

Just something different and fun after years on the road.
    The old beast has a 400 b model, 15 over and ss rears, sporting 529 gear ratio, I don't get in any hurry with it. lol

OldeSkool, D.Tibbitt and fast1buzz Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    4CA6DC68-3337-43C6-9993-8C87A08183F4.jpeg AD1917CB-958F-4C4F-879E-BD74E71ECE2A.jpeg Here’s a couple that caught my eye recently, beauty and the beast

5. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I learned to drive in an FLD. It was also my first company truck. I really liked those. Very dependable.

6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No saavy the pic thing, maybe get someone to help one of these days. we barged it out to icy bay last summer, and my helper has some good pics of it there.
    This is the only freightliner I have ever owned, never have actually been a fan of them, but it has been a pretty good rig, all in all.
    It started out life on the haul road with 2 lift axles, until they decided we didn't need lift axles up here, it was wrecked on the haul road once and rebuilt by my friend, I laid it over with a load of logs on it the second winter I owned it. I went off in deep snow, and the only damage was to the passenger mirror, we got it back up on the road and on it's feet a couple of days later, fired it up, reloaded and brought the load to town.

I was suprised it only had about a 1 inch scratch on the passenger fender. I knew it would be 3 or more hours before anybody would be coming along, and it was about 10 below, so I didn't even climb out of it. I just found my coffee cup and thermos and got as comfortable as possible and waited. I figured there was way more damage and I had plenty of time to think, so since I had just traded for a fairly sweet old A model, I made plans to just swap the engine over and repower it, but the old freightshaker is a survivor, and has paid for itself many times over since then, the poor old A model still needs rebuilt.

D.Tibbitt, Joetro and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Just curious, is it an 89 or an FLC?

8. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Not as old as your 89 Starmac, but here is my 98. Not the heavy specs I normally run but I got this for a smoking deal and tried out some highway trucking for a while between dumps and forestry.

I was hauling Coca Cola and Labatt's beer in 4 axle vans between Toronto Ontario and Montreal Quebec. Then getting loads of lumber or whatever to get me back home to northern Ontario.

Truck has an N14 Cummins that was turned up to 550 h.p./1900 ft-lb torque, 13 speed and super 40 rears.

I also ran two others but the set back front axle versions. One was a logger/dump truck and the other I pulled 5 axle walking floors with. They were 550 Cat powered which I prefer with 18 speeds and 20 and 46 axles.

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      130.5 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
    Intothesunset and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Mine is an 88, I don't know how I came up with 89. It as far as I know it is the FLC, it has the wide spot between the windshields, and there is some interior differences besides that in trucks just a couple of years newer. Hvac and dash differences that I know of, but I am by no meins a freghtliner expert.

I ran a 99 freightliner I presume classic That had a 600 horse cat, 18 spd and 46 rears and 325 wheel base north and also pulled a side dump with it. Other than it was a condo, I liked that truck well enough.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Ya, I would never have thought they would hold up off road, but like I said I had a dump and logger and they were trouble free.

I've always been confused by Freightliner model numbers, LOL

I can't even tell you the models of these without looking at the line sheets. I just call them Classic's, LOL.

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    88 is an FLC. They changed to the big window in 1989.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.