Visors? What is legal & what is not?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by REDD, Dec 26, 2009.

1. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I have seen many of trucks rolling down the highway with aftermarket visors. Some look good while others don't. So I have been looking at possibly replacing the visor on my 379. I found one visor that catches my eye, but some of the shops require a waver to be signed before purchase stating that it will only be used for show purposes only. While the other shops don't require a signed waiver.

So I'm curious as to what visor are legal for highway use?

The visor I'm looking at is...

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

The answer will be interesting but I cannot see how something that obstructs vision that much could be legal.

4. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    In order to be legal it must not obstruct you vision while in a normal sitting position through any part of the windshield. O/O do many things that are not legal. Thats why they are a favorite target of road side inspections.

5. oilfieldtrash

oilfieldtrash Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Jones,Oklahoma
    Virginia told me their rules was either 12" or 14" below the top of the windshield. That was a few years ago I can't remember which. I have a Panelite drop visor on an 89 379 and it was just legal.

6. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

do you have anything to back this claim up?
    i see alot more company trucks behind the scales than O/O's

RAG and Working Class Patriot Thank this.
  7. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    I didn't say scale house, I said Road side inspections. You know the ones they set up at rest ares and the such. I have been waved through more then a few so they could get to the O/O behind me with all the chrome and lites. They know there more likely to find something illegal or busted with him.

8. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I wasn't aware that "chrome and lites" were illegal...

So what kinds a illegal things do we do? My DOT friend in California says just the opposite, That generally the O/O's are pretty squared away unless you're talking about the camel jockeys and their rattle traps.

According to him a lot of these fleet trucks are "easy marks" with lots of little mechanical issues that the drivers are too inexperienced to notice.
    The main things he sees on O/O trucks are minor violations like straight pipes and such.

9. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Chrome and lites them self are fine. It's visors to low, Wrong colored lites, Straight pipes ect...ect... I have DOT friends in OK and Wa. and they say when they see a chrome factory coming or one with more then the basic lites they see a ticket coming. 9 out of 10 times you can find a lite out, Or something out of adjustment or busted cause the spent so much time trying to make it look cool they over look the basics. Not to say all of them but enough that it's worth there time. Besides it gives them a reason to check out the truck. Of coerce they also say that there are company trucks they pull on a regaler basses as well. They love the training companies.

10. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    So then...What you're saying is that they pull in company truck, O/O's about equally and there's really no basis in fact for the statement that O/O trucks are somehow more prone to tickitable offences than are other trucks.

My truck has a lot of lights and quite a bit of chrome and I rarely get stopped at a roadside inspection...And when I do I'm generally out of there after about 5 minutes with no violations of any kind.
    There is no way to prove that what you claim is fact but it sound like B.S. to me.

11. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

I didn't read that at all. I read that his DOT friends pull the o/o trucks and they also love training companies. He can't prove it but neither can you. We can do this all day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.