VNL Fuel mileage reduction and power loss!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nbalog, Jan 25, 2021.

1. nbalog

nbalog Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Hello I have a 2013 VNL730 with approx 640,000 miles. Its been rough finding a mechanic that fully understands the D13 engines even at a Volvo it is hit or miss. So I have decided to try this forum for the first time to see if I can get some answers. I have completed all new injectors and cups, new EGR and New DPF Sensor and Harness to try and resolve the issue. Also completed PM and regular service.

Problem
    I am getting an issue that comes and goe's not changed by being loaded or not. this is causing a reduction in fuel mileage by 2mpg and power. Turbo seems to be providing correct boost as this does not change when the issue is present. I get a rough idle when sitting still and turbo when set on clean idle will fluctuate from 1.5 to 1.7 rpm's for a few min before settling to the normal of 0.5-0.7 RPms during the clean idle setting. Keep in mind this does not happen all the time it is inconsistent but definitly feeling the difference when the problem is active while driving. Also no Codes are active! could this be some sensor going bad?

I have thought maybe bad fuel so I treated the fuel and replaced the fuel filter which did have some algae present but has been cleaned. Also no algae in the tanks these have been inspected.

If anyone has had the same issue and been able to fix please let me know.

Thanks agian.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    first thing i would check is do a cylinder balance test showing power each cylinder is putting out or removing. also i would check boost leaks and also if egr is getting stuck open at times or not, does the truck require more regens at times other than other times. this would be a start and go from there with everything you are describing i would probably think it would be an injector acting up even tho they r new means almost nothing nowdays, also i would check to make sure egr is not getting stuck open.

petefan4000 Thanks this.
  4. nbalog

nbalog Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Thank u for the reply some good advice, we did check for boost leaks which volvo fixed about 2k miles ago, as for regens nothing abnormal but I will look into whether the EGR is getting stuck open and have them do a cylander balancing test as well.

Will let u know what the result is. One thing I forgot to mention was I do have a very slow injector harness leak would this cause these symptoms?

5. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    injector harness leaks are exactly what they look like oil leaks nothing else besides that, although a lot of people like to say replace cuz something is bad if its leaking ive never seen one cause electrical problems. You can try to replace Boost sensor and also egr temp sensor on crossover pipe ive seen these to act up quiet often.

Johny41 Thanks this.
  6. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yesterday i was about to take the truck in Volvo shop to fix a small oil spot leak in front of head , around the injector harness next to thermostat. I called the shop talk to an old buddy foreman and he said exactly what you are saying, they did not see ecm power problems caused by this leak with D13, if is not leaking really bad to ignore it.

7. nbalog

nbalog Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Ok thank you for your input will keep you posted how things turn out

8. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    there is an epoxy i use to reseal it i can get yoiu part number.

9. nbalog

nbalog Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2021
    sure that would be great atleast something to try as a temporary fix as the leak is very slow anyways

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'm not a mechanic... But have a bit of experience with Volvos... The D13 is famous for having cam and rocker problems that causes all sorts of different problems, that present in different ways from truck to truck... Its wierd.

But might be worth cracking it open and check.

86scotty Thanks this.
  11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    usually if you have a cam or rocker problem you will hear that engine tick under the valve cover from miles away.

Socal Xpress and 86scotty Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.