Voltage guage erratic while idle

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by BoyWander, Sep 15, 2019.

1. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    So I was just laying in bed, had just parked maybe 30 mins prior, with truck off, when the battery warning came on. I had just put new batteries in 2 months ago and have had no issues.

I turn the key, digitial read out is showing 11.6 volts. Starts fine. Then it goes up to 13.9-14.0 where it normally should be.

I sit there and watch the guage slowly go from 14 down to 13.3, then all the way up to 14.4 and then back down again.

I cleaned the wires when I installed the new batteries, and put them all back in the order they were in before.

Truck is a 2017 volvo with 234k miles.

Thinking the problem is a loose wire or voltage regulator in the alternator. Or maybe the belt is going bad.

I can't stand sleeping with the truck running so I'll just shut off the battery box tonight. Not much food in the fridge, probably wont go bad in 8 hours. Don't need to charge anything.

Likely culprit?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I think I fixed it.

When I shut the engine back off, guage read 11.6 usually it holds at 12.5-12.7 when off.

3 of the bolts holding the wires/cables on the batteries were a little bit loose. I tightened them up.

Guage then showed 12.7

Started engine and volts showing 14.0 like it normally does.
    Holding steady.

I guess this post will now be buried for years, but hopefully someone else will come along and find it helpful.

Step 1 should probably be
    "Check for loose wires"

daf105paccar, uncleal13 and sealevel Thank this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I did that myself recently.
    I have a Maxwell Engine Start Module. As time went on it turned the engine over slower and slower. But the test light and voltages all showed normal.
    One weekend I finally took all the wires off and found the wire that goes to the starter had a loose connection and welded itself to a washer.
    Worked great after that.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.