volvo 2015 vnl 670 FIREWALL PANEL LEAK

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by walterk, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Hi,
    I am appealing to the wisdom of the mechanics here for help. I discovered a water leak in a pedal mounting plate. There is a lot of going on on this panel...
    It seems that the black rubberized compound sealing it around the circumference has been compromised somewhere. The water is sipping thorough and is visible leaking on the bottom of this panel. How do you fix this? Does this panel have to come off? What is that black compound that Volvo used to seal it? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am attaching some pictures to make my question more clear.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I do not follow you 100%. Some metal brackets in one picture are bent up. Could that be related to your leak?
    Best to find the problem before starting fixing stuff. Maybe try having a 1/4 plastic hose with a shop air hose connector on it. Stick the tube through the shift, steering or some other similar boot. Connect it to shop air and spray everything down with soapy water. Cheep dish or car wash soap works well. Does better in a gallon lawn weed sprayer.

4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    You looking at wrong place. There should be no water at all running from outside. Check black plastic panel just below windshield is drainage clean and no cracks. Is side wheel splash protector installed?

5. To continue this ordeal.... I found out today that the black stuff around the brake pedal mounting plate is a butyl tape. For some reason all the nuts but one holding this plate were missing! This has never been worked on since new. So Volvo factory dropped the ball on this one. These are studs so it remains to be seen if the new nuts will get tight or just turn. I also noticed there might be a defective design problem too as the water partially misses the drain shute in the corner, below the windshield, and drains down the plate - that's bad. I removed the pass-through plate and will reseal it with butyl too. Also, I only took some of the components off to make the plate move inwards to get access to seal it. Getting a good quality butyl seems to be a problem now. Napa will send one tomorrow. Anybody that has worked on it before will understand what I am talking about here.... But, thanks for all responses.

I suspect that most of the Volvo 670's leak in this spot after a while as the sealing quality is very poor from the factory. It is hard to notice as the water is hidden by the floor mat too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.