Volvo 670 stock antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Robugly, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Robugly

Robugly Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I'm running a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. 17watts, modulation up.
    ( tuned at Allen's Calhoun Louisiana)
    My SWR probably couldn't get any lower barely even pushing the needle.
    *I get a lot of static, have the rf gain at halfway, squelch about 1/4 up.

What antennas have you installed on the volvo stock mirror mount without having to go with a perch and running cable ?

How is your SWR ?
    What ranges are you getting ?
    Did you have to replace both antennas or just a driver side door ?

( this truck has mix matched antennas and I don't know which is stock and which isn't)..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    The stock antenna should be a fiberglass whip with gold copper windings and a clear plastic covering and stamped on the plastic cap it should have the word Rami on it. The Volvo I drove only had one antenna on the driver side and I replaced the stock antenna with a Wilson 2000 with the 10 inch shaft and the swr was 1.2 and transmit and receive was very good using stock cobra 29 ( 4 watts carrier pep to 12 watts) and the only static I had was during driving and probably came from the steer hubs because it would disappear when I applied the brakes. Im guessing that only the driver side antenna is for the cb and passenger side is for Am/Fm radio and Tv but you may want to check with Volvo to be sure. When you have alot of static, as you describe, is the engine running? Are you sitting still? Are you next to another truck or near lights? Unfortunately static is normal at least to some degree.

Robugly Thanks this.
  4. Tensleep440

Tensleep440 Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2018
    NE Corner of Texas
    Allen’s in Calhoun isn’t the best by any means, should have it aligned somewhere with a better reputation. The 29 I have on a shelf was worked on by Roger Beep over there before I got it, that radio is a total mess. Receive was jacked, I won’t even begin to tell you how it looked on a scope and spectrum analyzer. All of the infamous butcher work you could ever think of was done.

When I had a Volvo, I ran a pair or 4’ k40 fiberglass sticks. Eventually got tired of the short range and went to a perch mount and good coax with a predator 10k antenna.

rabbiporkchop and shogun Thank this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I know this isn’t what you asked, but a perch with a good antenna will blow that stock antenna mount away. My friend has a 2018 Volvo 780, he wasn’t talking a mile on the stock setup. I sold him one of my predator 10k dual coil with a 12 inch bottom shaft. He has it on a bird perch with separate coax and a Galaxy 33 doing around 30 watts. Last night he texted me a video talking to Augusta, Ga from Edwards, Ms. about 550 miles.
    Of course, we are taking good conditions and all, but going from not talking a mile to talking dx is pretty good with no power changes. The nice thing is that 10k had a busted bottom shaft before I sold it, so I unthreaded it, he bought a new shaft on amazon, and a broke antenna is back working fine.

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Here's a troubleshooting video.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    you have to run a new coax volvo uses a splitter The am/fm use the cb antenna to get a good signal run a new coax just for the CB

8. Stumblefoot Hot Shot

Stumblefoot Hot Shot Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Cooperas Cove
    So far my stock coax has done ok, I don't run a lot of power, 40W max..and Hustler antennas. SWR is flat across the band. Will probably go with separate coax and mount and single antenna later on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.