Volvo and ProStar v other trucks

Discussion in 'Knight' started by DenaliDad, Dec 14, 2014.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Those of you who drive the Volvo and have driven other trucks:

Can you compare and contrast it to the Freightliner Cascadia and KW? I've never driven or even been in a Volvo.

And are the ProStars single- or twin-screws? The single-screw ProStar is not a winter-friendly machine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

I drove FL Centurys, Pete 379's, and Volvos for Knight as Express driver...the Volvos & Centurys had about the same turning radius. The Volvos were more ergonomic and handled more like a car than a truck!

EDIT: Also, speaking of Volvo being 'ergonomic,' I started driving in 1999 in a KW and then went to FLD's. Volvo was the 1st to use a 'car-type' brake pedal rather than a 'shoe-fit type,' as well as a smaller, car-sized steering wheel.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  4. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    all of knights trucksare twin screw.

5. DenaliDad

Well, that boosts them up the list a bit.

6. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    Only time I hsve seenbsingle dcrew is if theyv onlyv pull double
    Es

7. DenaliDad

I drove one for a week last winter while my regular truck was in the shop. It got stuck in 1½" of new snow in flat ground while backing into a parking space at our yard. Nothing I did helped, including shoveling, salting, sanding, and using a burlap sack. I had been warned about it by my Director of Safety before starting out that week. I'm just glad it happened there and not in some down-sloping dock at a receiver...

As as I recall, I did like the interior, though my memory is a bit hazy since it wasn't my assigned truck.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.