Volvo D12 air leak in fuel

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Volvo8873, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    Getting an air leak into my fuel system, found that the line between the fuel pump and fuel filter housing is leaking fuel. Would this be a cause of air into the fuel system? looking at the Volvo D12 fuel system diagram this is a pressure line. I pulled the injector cups to only find out none are even leaking. Going to pop the injectors back in and replace this line and see if it fixes my issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Very possible although it should leak unless it’s suction line

4. Davidrs8

Davidrs8 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2018
    Is the line leaking at the connection replace the washers. Mine was leaking at the primer. had to replace the fuel pump housing. Check my thread.

5. Volvo8873

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    The fuel filter bracket is new also checked fittinngs but did not fix the problem. Going to pop back in the injectors and run the fuel lines directly into a pail of diesel is my next step. @nasriza should I dab a little sealant of some sort on the bottom rim of the injector to help seal it maybe? I realize that it should have new cups with injectors but I would like to try to find the air leak first.

6. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Don’t need anything not with d12 just replace o rings and should be good check the pickup tubes in the tank

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  7. Volvo8873

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    So I got everything back together. I routed some fuel lines into a 5 gallon pail full of diesel and did not get any air bubbles after running and revving it for a good while. That is good news as this issue is in the fuel lines going from the fuel tanks to the Davco 382. Going to dig some more tommorrow. Might just bypass the davco and go with one big fuel tank and route the lines directly from there. Keep it simple stupid as they say.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  8. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    I have air in fuel problem as well. My Davco filter fuel level sometime is up but mostly low to minimum. The Volvo I had before was with same problem and wasn't equipped with Davco. So the Davco is ruled out. My suspicions the fuel leveling valve quick connections is going bad.
    I"ll upload video when got good Wi-Fi.

9. Volvo8873

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    F3C9D354-A706-4270-B909-51B73A18990A.jpeg @nasriza pulled the injectors and found two holes with what looks like carbon. Have a new set going in and going to do this right this time instead of half azzing it the second time I replaced them. :/ I am going to use new injector hold down bolts this time as I didnt before. I think that was my problem aling with installing the last set in 10 degree weather.

10. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    look at the cup the new cups come with washers to be installed on the bottom of the injectors send me a pic of new cup please

11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    did the injector cups come with new washers cuz they are suppsed to be installed on the tips of injectors with the updated cups as well new design volvo made, u can see by the two grooves they have on the top needs to have washers installed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.