Volvo D12 short of power gears 9-10

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by NCIA Farmer, Jul 15, 2019.

1. NCIA Farmer

NCIA Farmer Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    We have 2 Volvo D12 pulling same size grain trailers. Night and day differance between the 2. The power shortfall is most noticable in gears 9-10. In one mile, there is a 7-12 mph differance, depends on headwind. Both trucks have 425 hp. Had Volvo dealer get hp up to same level. We replaced a EGR valve based on code received. Dealer pressure tested system and identified leaks in the air intake system coming from the turbo. They replaced leaky gaskets, installed a new air to air unit (due to leaks detected) and we replaced turbo, again due to a leak on the fresh air compressor side. After all of this, still terrible performance, most notably in gears 9-10.

Ideas??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Matt1924

Matt1924 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Georgia
    My N14 Cummins was doing something similar, turned out to be fuel filter. Maybe check that? Mine had only about 3500 miles on a fresh change when it did this, turns out it had gotten bits of junk and water in it.

4. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    Fuel overflow valve on a return line from the cylinder head, when it goes bad it doesn’t hold the right fuel pressure for your injectors in a fuel galle

5. NCIA Farmer

NCIA Farmer Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Thanks. We have less than 3000 miles on fuel filters, but do plan to change them again. Local Volvo dealer did computer check which showed normal fuel pressure levels, but not sure if the pressure reading would detect a faulty fuel overflow valve on the return line. I assume it would??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.