Volvo d12d air in fuel line

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Volvo8873, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    Getting a pop and stumble at higher RPM's. Everything checks out... seemed like a air in fuel issue and hooked up a clear hose and the return line and can see small air bubbles and the occasional big bubble every especially if I increase throttle. Tested were it enters the fuel filter housing and no air there so it has to be within the lines on the engine.

Any of you guys know a decent way for testing the lines around the engine? They all have banjo fittings.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Best thing i can tell you is start at the front and take each banjo fitting and tighten it.
    They seat on two copper washers.
    (you could replace them, but not necessary unless one is split))
    Next check the joints with bright light and look for cracks.
    You should see signs of leak or dirt collected around your issue.
    Brakecleen it all off, and look it over again.
    You may see a drip collecting under the bad spot.

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    what kind of milage do u have on this unit any compression in the cooling system or any fuel in coolant sounds like cups are just starting to go. make sure no excessive psi in coolant tank and how does it start if you let the truck sit overnight does it fire right up or does it crank for a long period of time. also make sure where the priming pump is there is a plastic plug with 6mm allen wrench try to tight it.

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Sounds like a bad cup

Just had mine done at 1.18 million

6. Volvo8873

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    I'm not getting any compression in the coolant tank. Coolant tests OK I'm not gaining or losing... @nasriza what is this plastic plugs you talk about on the priming pump? I have the electric priming pump that I took apart over the weekend, cleaned up and put back together. it was A little eaten up where the electric motor sits but the rubber gaskets were OK. Volvo wants $650 for the dam thing. I wish mine took the other style filter bracket. That is why I ask if there was a decent way of testing the banjo fuel lines. Then I know I can tell for sure it's that.

7. Volvo8873

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    I also replaced the fuel pump lately but this problem was starting up before I replaced it. Like I said the truck idles and starts well and runs good for the most part but when I get up to about 1500 RPMs you can start here and what seems to be air going through it. It also surges it seems to come and go

8. Volvo8873

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    Mileages also gone down about a 1 mpg

9. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i would check the fuel return valves before anything and second i still would suspect injector cups. from what youre saying

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  10. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    see if you can remove injectors and see if cups are good shouldn't be any more than 4 hrs to remove injectors and put them back if you have to with out any issues.

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  11. Volvo8873

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    Definitely going to pull the injectors and look at the cups. Replace the pressure relief valve but didn't really do anything. Going to tap the return line coming out of the head.

Also when it pops/puffs she throws out whitish blue smoke that smells like raw diesel. The only reason I ask about air in the fuel line is because I drove a yard horse once I did the same thing and it was found to be one of the fuel lines leaking air. But that was easily traceable because the fuel lines used and NPT fittings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.