VOLVO D13 egr valve oil return hose leak

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Does anyone know what size wrench do I need for this fitting? Please
    I would try to re-torque it, stop the leak untill i find a shop tomorrow, but is very difficult to see and access it .:(

Attached Files:

disoba Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Be carefull the thread in the valve casting are aluminum and easy to strip. very often the leak is come from the fitting press itself

KB3MMX and Johny41 Thank this.
  4. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Thx, Benrab
    I had the egr replaced Friday, at Volvo in Ontario, I noticed it leaking yesterday in Texas, oil draining on starter. I found the cross section view , looks like the oil in fitting is leaking. I won't touch it, I'll take it to dealers but are overbooked down here . I've seen a Volvo pdf replacing procedures, shoul have a small ruber O-ring that needs replaced everytime.
    [​IMG]
    You said in an older post that doesn't have position sensor, the only way to figure out if is malfunctioning is to run the truck loaded with diagnose laptop plugged and watch the egr temp .
    I'm just curious, how does it work , i see the spring keeps it closed when engine is stopped ;is it the hydraulic oil presure compressing the spring , opening the valve or it has an electric solenoid on top and oil provides cooling only? What happens when goes bad, do this springs get weak or broken?

Here one of my old valve, I was playing with just to discover :) how it works;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  5. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Hi Johny, the Volvo engine D-11, D13 and D-16 use the same Valve Egr P/N, the solonoid on the back of the egr valve is controled by the ECM (pulse modulated) the power use to open the egr valve is come from engine oil pressure throught the solonoid (pilot) but the calculation to how wide the valve should open is come from ECM, the egr mass flow sensor has a big role in this calculation but engine RPM, engine load and many others factor are use for the egr flow calculation. To answer your question if the egr valve stuck close your engine will generate to much NOX in the exhaust system and DEF fluid system alone cannot take care of the NOX then a derate situation will occur soon. If the EGR valve stuck open depend how wide the valve stay open you will have a low power situation, no or slow engine response and regen occur very often. Since the last post yes it's still true the egr temperature is a good way to figure out the egr valve operation but the egr Mass flow reading is a good indicator too. Another info to check if a egr valve is leak free, with the lap top when you road test and use engine brake (any position) the egr flow reading should fall to zero very quickly.
    Hopes those information will help.
    Ben

Johny41, KB3MMX and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.