"Volvo Group Uncovers Faulty Component in Emissions Setup"

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I've just read this articles, looks like a large recall on emission components to follow soon.

"........The Gothenburg, Sweden-based company has started informing authorities about the issue, caused by a component degrading faster than expected and potentially leading to the release of emissions exceeding limits. The cost to fix the problem with the part, which comes from an outside supplier, “could be material,” it said Oct. 16 in a statement. Volvo AB shares tumbled by as much as 9.3%, the most in more than two years....."

"Most of the Volvo vehicles that were potentially affected were sold in North America and Europe, ..."

Volvo Group Uncovers Faulty Component in Emissions Setup

"..The world's second biggest truckmaker admitted Tuesday that some vehicles on the road are likely emitting illegal levels of nitrogen oxide. Volvo Group added in its statement that costs related to fixing the problem "could be material."..

""One of the components that is in the catalyst may degrade quicker than expected," ..

Volvo shares slump as firm warns vehicles may be failing emission legal limits

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    What year trucks? Sorry, I didn't read the articles yet.

4. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    From the CNBC article:

"Volvo said the number and type of engines or vehicles affected remained unknown, but the largest volume of potentially affected engines had been sold to customers in North America And Europe."

5. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    It referred to "the catalyst", so if they mean the DPF or DOC, it could be 2010 and newer. If they mean the SCR, it could be 2013 or newer. Cummins is having a problem right now with the platinum wash coat on the SCR being too thin and degrading faster than expected.

6. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    It wont be a epa2010 models. We do have the snazzy warning. "You get a warning signal in the dashboard saying you’re running above nitrogen oxide levels.” I own a 2010 never had that come up in my 4 years of ownership. But maybe I got lucky? No I own a Volvoo_O

Que the haters!!! Come on down and let us know how much you hate the brand and all that jazz.

7. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Socal, don't take me wrong , i don't really hate the brand, it's like a rough relationship, sometimes rides good kisses and honey xxxlove, but when injector , bull gear blows i would kick her out of the bed. I owned Volvo trucks only for 20 years and watching the pain of dozens of my buddies in other brands, i would buy a Volvo again. I linked this just for owners ,could be eligible to replace certain parts free during upcoming recall, could be a limited window of time .

8. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I would buy a another as well.

9. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    I dont want another d13...even though I had that smug look on my face all day as I was passing every truck going uphill with 45k in my box. But 8 sets of injectors and the bone crusher valve chatter it has is driving me insane. Pic attached is my "eff your KW" look.

Attached Files:

10. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    For the record I was not driving at the time photo was taken. Was sitting still in TA parking lot waiting patiently for CR England to finish humping the football backing into his spot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.